www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

How can I make it better? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
lostbetween
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: How can I make it better? Reply with quote

http://spooningmoons.com/Becca/Dastrin%20Campaign/Grome/Finished%20Shots/greginpen01.png

1-16 of the same URL

Any advice on how to get it more photo realistic and more professional quality?
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mihai, our lead artists will give you more hints. From what I can quickly determine, vertical mapping (presented in the procedural texturing tutorial) would improve the quality of the texturing on the mountains slopes.

Also to not loose too much detail you can try to apply one of the fractal presets and then apply some erosion on top (hydraulic or flowmap). Plus you can add some noise in the heightmap using the Plane Noise fractal noise preset. This would add some detail at the lightmapping (lightmap adds much detail and depth to the scene).

Usually, from my experience, applying a fractal followed by several erosions will create natural looking terrain. In case you need to follow an existing heightmap (import one height or want some terrain features to be in specific places) start by just using the elevation brushes to raise some plain hills. Then on top of those add fractal noise presets but limit their range to few meters above and bellow the ground (so the general terrain features are preserved).

Also playing with smudge brush and a good brush mask creates natural looking results (I believe the flight simulator tutorial has this method applied at one point).

Anyway, Mihai will be able to give you more precise hints.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Mihai
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

For start :

Depending on what you want to obtain with your project it's always better to chose the right resolution...
EX :
-if you planing a level for a fps it's better to have a dense resolution (from 1m to 5m distances between 2 vertices )
-if you planing a level for a fly simulator..or a strategy game it's better to use a bigger distance between 2 vertices (from 10 m till 50 m..or so) depending on your game need.

This also it will help you to be more aware about the scale that you working on..

Second think..if you are a beginner with Grome... it's better to chose a reference of what you want to obtain ... in order to have a general feeling of the shape colors atmosphere that you are trying to accomplish ..

ex :
http://www.imyam.com/Tropical/Tropical-island-fun.htm

Know regarding your scene..there are a lots of thinks that need special care Smile

First let's begin with the water..

1. try to make the wave a little smaller (use a biger tile )
2. Paint it with a different color (according to the reference)
3. use a little transparencies close to the short (acordin to the references)

After you finish this we will get to the terrain Smile
Cheers
Mihai
lostbetween
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resolution is one of the things I do not understand or know how to gauge. I have realized that whatever I put my scene in, I won't be able to put more than a representation of the keep that belongs n that valley. Later when I want to make one of her other villages, I assume it will need to be a higher resolution if I am going to want to add in 3D village pieces. I realize you can set it however you want, but is there a standard to go by for various functions...flight simulator, topographical representation or game play?

Just wanted to throw that out before I forgot. Taking a look at your instruction now. Thanks!

Oh and yes, I am a beginner, both to Grome and 3D art.
lostbetween
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raised the wave tile to 30 and cleared the second bump. I changed the global color. This is what I have so far on the transperencies near the shore. Now if I wanted to add in some of that color like in the reference photo, would I do that with a second water layer or by adding a texture layer on the ocean floor?

http://spooningmoons.com/Becca/Grome/mihaihelp01.png

http://spooningmoons.com/Becca/Grome/mihaihelp02.png

http://spooningmoons.com/Becca/Grome/mihaihelp03.png
lostbetween
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found some notes from Dave saying to make zones at 2560 X 2560 but I get this error:

http://spooningmoons.com/Becca/Grome/memoryerror.png
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Dave was probably referring to the fact that a terrain zone must be of 256 by 256 tiles (and with tile size of 10?). 256, 512 or 1024 tiles per zone is the best approach for memory consumption. If, for example, you need 2560 by 2560 create 10 by 10 zones of 256 each (or 5 by 5 of 512). Anything bigger than 1024 per terrain zone will most likely cause the program to go out of memory (especially for 32 bit build) since it cannot allocate a continuous zone of that size. Breaking the scene in multiple peaces not only allow you to variate zones and separate your editing, but it will also help operating system and video driver to find place for the terrain data in memory.

As for resolution, once you created a zone, now, with the current build, you cannot change its resolution. We plan to add a new tool that will allow to change the resolution of the scene once created. So separating the zone in multiple zones is also beneficial from this point of view since you will be able to variate resolution inside the same scene (add more details in places of interest).

You need to look at the terrain editing help and first understand the concepts of zones, resolution, tile etc. Basically, to summarize, Grome scene is made of multiple terrain zones. Each zone can be individually swapped and unswapped (sent to external disk and back in memory) to allow for immense scenes (as your hard disk allows them). Each zone is made of tiles (a tile is a quad made of 4 vertices). So the resolution of zone is expressed in tiles and best values are usually power of two (256, 512, 1024 etc) since most LOD algorithms work with these values (Grome allows for any size though). The size of the tile is expressed in world units (meters, cm, inches etc, whatever you choose them to be) so the total size of a zone is "no of tiles" x "tile size" units. Objects are spawned on top of terrain and they are linked to the zones' surfaces. When you swap out/in the zones the objects go with them.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Mihai
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
About the understanding of : how different resolution influence your Terran and pipeline ,we are going to discussed later...because is the most important knowledge that you should have before starting to be a level designer.. and are a lot of things to say about it..

About The water from your island.... the wave s looks better know..
Next step try to paint the water with a little color... (See reference)..green close to the short ..dark blue on deeper water..

Tip : Use a brush with an alpha.....

Something like that:

Cheers
Mihai

Mihai
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before start painting..you should linked to the water..but..you already know this from the video tutorials i assume.. Smile

lostbetween
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tutorials hold a LOT of information...just cause I knew it once doesn't mean I know it now. heh. Ok, have never used color brushes before. This will be fun!

So do I not make a second water layer? Paint on the first one?
Mihai
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
No You no need the second layer of water.. but in order to paint the water..you need a color layer...set as a simple color shader .. (pls see the video tutorials very characterful ..or read the help..)

The color layer is a texture layer without the mask..it contain the color which you can paint..with a brush or generated..but it's better with the brush..you will have more control this way..and beside it's more fun Smile
lostbetween
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, opening up the tut now. In the meantime, I don't appear to have the diffuse setting you are showing above:

http://spooningmoons.com/Becca/Grome/diffusesetting.png

yup, the tuts show a water color in the diffuse and I am not seeing it on mine.
Mihai
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's because it's a color layer that you have to create..as a simple color

A color layer- it's a layer of color...(without a mask)

Last edited by Mihai on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
lostbetween
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i think thats what I figured out. I used color modulate and then the layer name showed up in the diffuse column. But you are saying to use simple color so I am not assigning to selection right.

http://spooningmoons.com/Becca/Grome/colormodulate.png
Mihai
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color layer you shout put it under all the layer... you will use it only for the color of water or vegetation..

Jump to: