www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Splat Maps « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
redletters
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Splat Maps Reply with quote

Some Splat Map questions:

Can I export the Splat maps that are generated as I texture the terrain?
Can I control their resolution?
How do very large terrains, split terrains, different LOD levels, etc. affect the Splat maps?
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

When you said "splat maps" are you referring to maps created by collapsing multiple layers of images?

If so, yes you can generate splat images both in Grome (on a layer) or at export (using various default plugins like General Large Data
exporter).

In Grome they are called baked textures.

When you create them inside the editor you can control their resolution by indicating the layer resolution. But you are limited to a maximum texture size (approx 4096) per terrain zone. You can create multiple layers, each with a different resolution. You can split the zones to create bigger resolution.

When you create them at export you can indicate any size and the exporters are optimized to stream the images line by line to disk (you can go to resolutions of 300000 x 300000 pixels or even more). So you can export very detailed splat images using this method.

You can choose to export one image per zone (per split terrain regions) or one big image for the entire scene.

If you are referring to something else as splat images, please let me know.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
redletters
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I mean the layer mask for the textures.

* EDIT *
Wait a second.. found the answer here:
http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1290

1. Multiple layers support. You may need to create a special shader to represent multiple layers applied on top of each other. Realmcrafter may already support this so all you need to do is to take the exported masks and their tiles images and render them in the correct order.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, oh, I see.

The masks can be exported in many formats. You can also pack them together in the same image (one mask per channel), normalized or not. You can export separate mask for each zone or big masks per the entire terrain. All these are exported with default exporters. You can also create your own plugin with the help of our SDK (which comes with Grome license).

Their resolutions can be chosen either when you create the layer and assign it to terrain zones or you can later change them with Resample tool. You can have different resolutions for different layers or even for the same layer but for different zones.

You can create the masks procedurally (based on slope, altitude, direction etc) or manually, by brushes. When creating the masks with procedural methods we use special splines to cover the terrain surface so we extract more detail from the heightmap than with conventional methods (for example using normals per vertex).

Regards,
Adrian L.
redletters
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's amazing. I'll be purchasing a license very soon.
Thanks Adrian.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, great. I am sure you will be happy with your purchase. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Regards,
Adrian

Jump to: