www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

collada « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
calilifestyle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: collada Reply with quote

when i export a collada scene, the sample one that ships with the program. some how the river breaking up the canyon does not export. Is there something i have to do to correctly export.

i may have posted this on the wrong section, sorry
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I believe that the water is not saved to collada since this is a feature that collada doesn't support. That's mainly because the water is not represented by geometry. The river it is merely a plane, not a tesselated surface. The water coverage is indicated by its mask. Also its reflection and bumpmapping is a per pixel shading which even if it written in collada, most probably the program reading will not know to represent.

So for water you only need to export its mask and then place it on a plane the size of the terrain zone and apply alpha blending and reflection or any other water effects you may need.

Collada is not good on representing this. For water parameters to be send to the shaders (what bumps to use, what reflection factors, wat lighting color etc) use the Grome SDK to save to your own format. Graphite, our engine, does it like that. If you want I can send you the details of the water shader.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L
calilifestyle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say SDK do mean build my own export format. or does SDk come with 3rd party exports. Is there any obj export while i'm here
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

With the SDK you can create your own plugin or you can modify the existing ones. The source code is provided for all default plugins:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=348

There is no obj but obj is restricted as collada: no good terrain support and no water and grass. These are normal mesh formats. For terrain best is to use raw, geotiff, dted or any terrain specific formats.

Please provide more details about what you need to do with Grome and I may be able to tell you the best option for data.

Regards,
Adrain
calilifestyle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had the time to work on this problem. So what i'm trying to do is export some landscape with roads and rivers or oceans. Bring it into my 3d app, that i'm using and do some animation. i'll see if i can post a few images that show some of the problems i'm having
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Ok, please post the images.

To be noted that Collada is not really suitable for terrain, unless you bake the textures and create simplified meshes (instead of heightmaps).

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
faarigia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With BigWorld now an Indie product do you plan on adding a plugin to work with it???
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there is no immediate plan to support Bigworld engine via a standard plugin. But we do offer the Grome SDK with each license so you can create your own export / import plugins. I am more than happy to assist anyone that wishes to integrate with 3rd party engines out there.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: