www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Professional Licence « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Professional Licence Reply with quote

I bought Grom Professional, but the activation says, i have to be sure, if this is the machine, i want to use Grome with.

Is this a hardware bounded software? What if I change my hardware?

I bought the software, but our graphic artist will use it. Who should activate?

Is there a possibility to buy an extended licence for more than one computer?
greedo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it would be a bit expensive if we had to buy an individual license for each computer...
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes the license if valid only for one computer. Once activated, if you want to change the computer you should contact us (at support@quadsoftware.com) and we will help you transfer the license to another computer (but this may be time consuming for you). This is a security precaution we use to ensure that our program cannot be just uploaded on a site so every one can download it. This ensure us that only our clients' teams uses the program.

The one using the Grome for their work should activate the product (your artist in this case). To be noted that to use the SDK you don't need to have the license activated (the programmer can create plugins on any computer but to test it, he will need a machine with Grome activated on it).

Also, to be noted that if you have machines where you only want to test the maps, you can use the Demo version to load them (demo version is a professional edition but without saving) so you don't need to have license bought on every test machine.

In case you need the program on more than one machine you should consider buying more Grome license (we currently setting up the payment system so you can have volume discounts).

Another method of having Grome for multiple machine is to contact us for customize versions of it. We can do the customization work under contract and make Grome to closely work with (and only with) your engine.

In case of refunds for your payment, you need to request it before activation on a machine.

I hope this answer your question. I'm sure you understand our reasons for this protection method and I ensure you we will make all in our power to assist choose best computers to install the editor on.

Regards,
Adrian Licu
greedo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another method of having Grome for multiple machine is to contact us for customize versions of it. We can do the customization work under contract and make Grome to closely work with (and only with) your engine.

How would this look like money-wise?

Also, how significant would those volume discounts be?

Our problem is that the 3D artists would want to check their models with the terrain, but the ones creating the terrain would be other people.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, please send your request to our sales department (sales@quadsoftware.com) regarding volume discounts (they are still in the middle of setting up the system).

For customization work, all depends on your actual requirements for your custom project. You can contact us (contact@quadsoftware.com) by providing more details about your custom needs.

Quote:
Yeah it would be a bit expensive if we had to buy an individual license for each computer...

I think Grome is pretty good value for his money (as it can save you a lot of time otherwise spend with unspecialized game tools). As any licensed program, its copy is valid for one user.

Regards,
Adrian Licu
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALicu thanks for your answer.

I will send you an email.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Grome price is per license (as any licensed program actually). This edition it is designed for professional developers (as its name implies) and I actually think its very good value for its money (just check other alternatives on the market and you will see why). You can check other professional products (like photoshop, max, mudbox you name it) and check their actual price. All these products are per one user.

For your needs maybe standard edition is better suited (you can ask for a refund for the professional edition by sending a mail to our sales person sales@quadsoftware.com). Standard edition price was specially designed for users/small businesses with less budgets. After a while, when your budget increases you can opt to transfer the license to professional edition.

You must understand that the current product lineup is not negotiable (and it doesn't actually depend on me to do something about it).

Regards,
Adrian Licu
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my message out. I sent you a mail, but you answered some parts of it already here.

Anyway, please check your mail Very Happy
makit3d
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question about the security feature. Is this hardware dependent? I didn't see that answered. If it is than I will have to get a new license if I change my hardware? I am planning on upgrading my memory, mainboard and video card very soon, but not before I purchase and use Grome.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hardware dependent but in case of a hardware upgrade we will reactivate the product for you on the new hardware (best would be, before you upgrade to contact us, but it can be done after too).

Also the security is very flexible about hardware changes, you can change many of the hardware components before it deactivates.

This is a protection scheme used by many companies for their programs because of the "buy once install everywhere" practice. It also helps customers as you can't loose your license and the rights with it. For other protection schemes when your serial is posted on the net and the vendor company just bans the serial and you loose your license.

All the future patches, upgrades, maps etc. will also install and load only on valid licenses.
Sandoz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the licensing system is bound to the hardware, would I be able to reinstall Windows from scratch, and then reinstall Grome without having to jump through hoops to get it to work? I periodically reinstall Windows like this in an attempt to maintain a higher level of stability and performance.

Also, I usually replace my primary computer every 12 to 24 months. From what I've read on this message board, it isn't a problem to have the license transferred to another machine periodically. Am I correct in that regard?
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes you can reinstall windows as many times as you want and use the same license information to reactivate Grome. When you need to transfer the license to another computer please contact us and we will provide the details of the transfer process.

Regards,
Adrian L.
dyrwoolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a laptop on witch I sometimes work on, sitting on my balcony or sittion in some café, but most of the time I work on my desktop. But I never work on those two at the same time, and no other person work on either of my machines. Do I really have to purches two license to install them on both computers???
Mihai
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Grome is a niche program and it's designed to be used by profesional level designer on a powerful desktop. We wouldn't recommended for laptops (because as any graphic app it necessitates some good hardware configuration in order to operate optimal , especially when you operate with large terrain )

Also this type of license is so cheap because is per computer .

Last edited by Mihai on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:28 am; edited 3 times in total
dyrwoolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Well my laptop is at the moment stronger than my desktop, (planing to upgrade soon) and I have no problems using the demo on my desktop atm.
And sure the software isn't that expensive, But as a indie developer that is doing this just for fun, It seams a bit sour to have to purchase two license.

Jump to: