www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Question about the terrain grid in the zone creation tool « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Bnaude
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Question about the terrain grid in the zone creation tool Reply with quote

Somehow the terrain grid in the Zone creation tool has become offset from the world, meaning if I want to create a terrain zone consisting of 4 tiles set at a size of 400, I can't have them created using area of x= -400 to 400 and z=-400 to 400.

I have attached a screenshot to show you what I am talking about.
I know how to resize the terrain grid by using the grid selection mode, but for the life of me, I can't find out how to reset the terrain grid to match the actual grid in the scene.

Any help, and I mean any help would be appreciated.

ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

To select the current grid from the existing scene just press the green rectangle button (next to Size) and while it is pressed click on any existing zone from the scene. In this way the current grid will become the one from the clicked zone.

To be noted that all the data you enter in the Size/Tiles no/Tile size is referring to a single terrain zone (what you probably called a tile, while in Grome terminology a tile is just the distance between two vertices). So, in case you need to create 4 zones of 400 size each, you need to enter 400 at Size and at the Tiles no the number of tiles (number of vertices + 1 / edge) you want per terrain zone.

Also the grid automatically divides itself to the lower size of a terrain zone. So for example, if you have zones of 400 units and you want to create one of 200 units (so you have two smaller ones neighbor to a bigger one) you just enter 200 at Size and create the new zone. You will see how the grid becomes of 200 and the bigger zones just occupy multiple grid cells. This grid system is meant to simplify the creation of zones without the need for a snap system which may allow user errors.

Let me know if the info above fixes your issues.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
Bnaude
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Adrian, thanks the the reply.

I am guessing that I am just missing something very simple here, so bear with me.
What you just described to do is what I thought the help file said to do as well, but here is my issue: there is no existing zone in the scene (mesh). It's an empty scene, so I am unclear on what to choose to reset or set the terrain grid. I have tried to use the grid button but other then "select" the grid (turn it red), the only thing it does or that I am able to do with it, is resize it.
My problem is that I can't get the grid to center (the little red dot) on 0,0 space (or one of the major underlying grid line intersections). I might not be explaining myself well enough, but if you look at the image I posted, you see the blue brackets that are CREATE AREA numbers I typed in, well that is centered on 0,0. The zone grid is not. Having my zone origin at 0,0 is important for my process.
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I see. This is a strange one.
Is your scene newly created? Or do you load a blank scene from disk?

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
Bnaude
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a newly created scene. I actually tried using the "wizard" as well, hoping that would reset the terrain grid to it's default state but it didn't work.
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Can you save the blank scene and sent it to me (licu at quadsoftware.com) ?

Regards,
Adrian L
Bnaude
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Adrian, sent.

I do appreciate your help with this. Let me know what I messed up. Very Happy

Jump to: