www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

invalid heightmap on unswap « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
yvanvds
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: invalid heightmap on unswap Reply with quote

Hi.

I am working on a large terrain. I made a few hundred zones, and to start I just added a small part of a tiled map to them as a texture. (I am using this to help with the map design.)

Now I have created a heightmap for a few zones and I wanted to unswap some other zones again. I get this error message:

Code:
Menu: Edit -> Unswap Selected
E|D      | Invalid file format: could not create the zone layer  for "TerrainZone (204)"
E|D      | Heightmap stack invalid (empty) for the zone: "TerrainZone (204)"
E|D      | UnswapNode: node cannot be extracted: "TerrainZone (204)"

The only thing I did to this zone was adding the texturemap. The heightmap on disk (terrainzone (204).tdata) is 3.915 Kb, which is the same as every other zone i didn't design yet.

A possible solution for me would be to just recreate the zone anew, but I cannot delete the current zone as long as it is swapped. I could hide it and make a new one on the same spot, but that doesn't seem like a good permanent solution to me, since about a hundred zones are affected this way.

Anyone know of a way to solve/work around this?

Regards,

yvan vander sanden
yvanvds
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, found a solution at last: I saved the zone on another disk (save as...) and got a bunch of error messages saying some zones could not be saved. After loading the project again, another bunch of messages saying these zones could not be created. After that all errors are gone, leaving me with the zones that actually work.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

But we still need to find why this happened. Can you send me your version of the map with invalid zones (the initial one before Save As)? I need to study it to see how it ends up in the invalid state. You can send the archive via email (licu at quadsoftware.com) or if it is too big (above 10MB), let me know, and I can send you the data for a FTP to upload it to.

Also, can you reproduce the bug? I mean are you able to apply the same steps and reproduce the bug?

How big were your zones (in tiles number)? Maybe the program ran out of memory at some point. Are you using 64bit build?

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
yvanvds
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the compression rate is amazing, it is still 45MB. I've put it up here: http://attr-x.net/downloads/grome.7z

I cannot reproduce this bug right now, because it would mean starting the project all over and see if it goes wrong at the same point. That would mean hours and hours of work.

I did use the 64 bit version of the program. I have 225 zones in this project, all 1000 tiles large. I never had more than 16 of them unswapped. With 4GB memory on my machine, that was still comfortable to work.

First thing I did was assigning a texture to each zone, with a part of sliced worldmap, so that I knew what to draw where. After that I started designing heightmaps. The sixteen zones in the upper left corner have a heightmap at the moment. They can still be unswapped. The other zones only have the texture map, and they cannot be unswapped anymore.

Regards,

yvan vander sanden
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

On Monday, once I am back at the office I will download the file.

In the mean time can you tell me how did you create the zones? Did you use an import plugin or did you use the Create Zone tool? Also did you assign a texture to all zones or only to the ones from memory?
I want to figure out when the zones became invalid.

Regards,
Adrian L.
yvanvds
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use the create zone tool. I created them all at once, and got a popup asking me if I wanted to swap them, and I choose yes.

Then I unswapped them 16 at a time, and put my texture on them one by one.

It was only the next day, when I started to add a heightmap to some unswapped zones that the problem occured. I did get some error messages when I was done working and saved the scene. At that time, I thought I'd just close grome and open it again. I didn't copy down those error messages.

When opening the project again I could not unswap the zones anymore.
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think we've managed to figure out why your zones became invalid. I think you've deleted the base heightmap layer while you had zones swapped to disk. The swapped zones become invalid as their unique heightmap layer is no longer present in the scene. We will fix this bug and have a new update to the site. In the mean time, please avoid deleting the first heightmap layer while you have some of the zones swapped.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
yvanvds
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes. I do recall I did delete a heightmap layer. I'll look out for that from now on.

Thanks, yvan vander sanden

Jump to: