www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Additional textures. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
davidbrinnen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Additional textures. Reply with quote

I'm just trying to get to grips with the texturing and I've been watching the tutorials (which are good) and I noticed on the tutorials there are many more textures in the library than I seem to have in mine. Are these additional textures available through Quad, or are they third party and if so where I can get hold of them/some - bearing in mind they have to be allowed for commercial use?
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, the textures are available through our site and can be used free of charge for any project (commercial or not). Just login with your user name from the main page (www.quadsoftware.com) and then Available Services appears bellow. Click on that and the Grome 3 download page appears (in the middle of the screen). Click on that and you will be taken to Grome download page from where you can download:
- 200 textures of terrain
- around 20 textures of 4 billboards of grass each
- industrial objects and their textures.

Let me know if you have any problems accessing these.

Regards,
Adrian L.
davidbrinnen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: - Reply with quote

Thanks Adrian,

Grabbed them! No problem. Thanks for the quick answer. Back to learning...

Cheers,

David.

PS, I wouldn't object to watching more video's about applying textures to terrains (in version 3) and working with masks please. If such a video was to include a look at roads at the same time... that would be super. Very impressed with the road making feature, but some aspects of it are a little baffling.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The roads tutorial will be ready next week. There are many features there that are not obvious immediately.

Also, after we are covering all the new aspects of Grome 3.0, we will remake most of the old tutorials since there are some small modifications and additions to most of the old tools too.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.
davidbrinnen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: - Reply with quote

Thanks Adrian,

More good news! Excellent. I look forwards to watching them.

Cheers,

David.
davidbrinnen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: - Reply with quote

Quick question,

Does the road tutorial include directions on how to export a mask of the road itself against the terrain zone/zones it is passing over?

I know I can do this by making the road fully white and applying black texture to the terrain and exporting that (baking it) but I just wondered if this was already an inherent feature and I could just export a mask for the road.

Cheers,

David.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The tutorials are mainly focusing on user interaction with Grome. For exporting specific scene data you can use Grome SDK to access the scene and output it in any desired format. Of course, you will need to have at least decent knowledge of C++ (to write a plugin).

And, yes, indeed, you can use your approach and bake the terrain as seen from above with the General Large Data Sets exporter (I don't know if it contains the terrain as snapshot though, I will have to check). ColorBake tools bakes only the texture layers (not the roads).

Regards,
Adrian L.
davidbrinnen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: - Reply with quote

Thanks again Adrian,

No problem, I think I have enough on my plate at the moment without learning c++! I will content myself with the approach I've already discovered, that works fine for me thanks to the large colour bake exporter. I just wanted to check I wasn't missing something really obvious. As I said, I'm still somewhat at see with the texture masking application.

Cheers,

David.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just checked the Large Data Sets Exporter and it doesn't put the roads in the snapshot (it renders only the terrain since that function is made for collapsing the terrain texturing).

But I've found other solutions:

- Use Graphite exporter.

This can save mini-maps for games which will include everything as seen from above (so you can use your approach with this plugin). Just disable texturing on terrain, have a black texture on road, hide all other objects and then choose Graphite exporter plugin. Then at General press Change Options... button and check "Export zones minimaps". Check "No lighting", choose your image resolution (per zone), press Ok and then again Ok to export. An image for each zone is produced.

or

- Create an additional heightmap layer and leave it unchanged (at zero). Now you can disable the original heightmap layer (or layers if you have more) and your terrain will be flat (without affecting the previous scene heightmap which is just disabled).

If you don't have it yet, assign a road layer to influence terrain. Now you have your road influence the heightmap. So you can for example move your entire road to be slightly above or bellow the flat terrain. This opens a wide range of possibilities to get the road mask. You can for example just create a mask for a texture layer (with MaskGen) that is present only on zero height (where there is no road) and you can export this.

I've also talked with another programmer and he said that having the possibility to save the road influence into a selection map (that you can later use to paint, save etc) would be very useful for other tasks too. So we also have this added in the to-do list so in a future build you can just go the road layer, right click it and select copy to a selection layer. The terrain will be selected only when the road is.

Regards,
Adrian L.
davidbrinnen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: - Reply with quote

Hi Adiran,

Far be it for me to tell my grandmother how to suck eggs, but here's what I did that seems to work also, just so you know...

I made a zone.
Put a procedural hight map on it.
Made a road (with a white texture)
Applied a black texture to the terrain.
Linked the road to the terrain with a road layer.
And exported it with the "terrain baked texture" and the two boxes unticked.

This gave me a white road mask.jpg against a black square. Which matches up nicely with the exported heightmap.

So that works too...

(Only erasing the road did cause a glitch and a crash at one point. I will keep an eye out for that and file you a bug report if I can pin it down.)

Cheers,

David.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, you are right. If you uncheck the option to create one file per zone, a global snapshot is made which include all the elements on terrain (like roads).

Also, good news is that we've added copy roads mask to a selection layer operation (and this will be present in the next update, next week) so you will be able to do more complex tasks with roads inside Grome UI.

Regards,
Adrian L.
davidbrinnen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: - Reply with quote

Thanks Adrian,

Got to say I am very impressed with the level of customer feedback and service Quad gives, particularly in comparison to other software developers (who shall remain nameless) I have dealings with.

Cheers,

David.
davidbrinnen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: - Reply with quote

OK, this is probably a daft question, so I will apologise in advance.

I'm following the perpixel tutorial and while I can find sand01.dds no problem...

I cannot find any of the purple coloured files, eg, sand01_p.dds that are shown in that video. Checked over the downloaded content and I've searched the directory. I can't seem to find any of these _p type anywhere.

What am I doing wrong?
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right, these are not included. They are bumpmap textures created automatically with CrazyBump tool from the normal textures. They are pretty easy to create. Anyway I will make sure I upload them on site next week.

Regards,
Adrian
davidbrinnen
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: - Reply with quote

Hi Adrian,

Phew, at least it wasn't me not finding them in a really obvious place! Thank you indeed, I shall look forwards to having a play with these next week.

Cheers,

David.

Jump to: