www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Texture mask export to RGBA? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
FranticAU
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Texture mask export to RGBA? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

We use Unigine engine and the terrain texture masks use RGBA for each material layer of four textures.

Do I have to export each texture mask separate and bind in Photoshop or do you have an exporter that would provide this functionality?

Cheers,
Cory
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The Global Large Data Sets Exporter allow you to pack the masks in the RGBA channels. Just select "Export as multiple image channels" at the Terrain layer masks section. You can also choose to normalize the masks (so they sum is always 255) by choosing "Normalize each channel".

You can press the Help button on the plugin UI for more information.

Regards,
Adrian L.
FranticAU
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This software is great, thanks again.
FranticAU
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

When I use choose to normalize the masks (so they sum is always 255) by choosing "Normalize each channel" I don’t get separate colour layers R,G,B,A as one would expect so cannot map terrain texture streaming to each channel any tips?

Do you want me to paste an img with a correct example and what we get from the exporter?

Thanks for all your help so far Smile
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Do you need separate images for each layer (and not packed)? If this is the case, the editor is normalizing channels only if they are packed (this makes sense since you need normalization only when you apply one single shading pass per packed image). Separated images usually don't need normalization.

Or maybe I didn't understood your exact problem. If this the case can you post an image?

Regards,
Adrian L.
FranticAU
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am trying to achieve is currently I would export each texture layer mesh separately then use Photoshop to add “rock” to Red layer channel in photoshop, “sand” to Green layer channel etc then save as one png RGBA and use that for the engine.

The Colours need to be 255 of each channel to work. Any way to do this with the exporter to avoid the Photoshop step?
FranticAU
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need an example or do you know what I mean?
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, so you basically want that the alpha channel to be spare (to not be used in the packing). I will add an option to the exporter for this (if you are a programmer you can add this yourself since you have the exporter source code within the editor package).

Until then, you can do a little trick. You can for example add some bogus terrain layers (masked texture layers but don't bother to edit them), one at each used 3 layers (e.g. rock, sand, earth and then bogus layer for alpha). Then you have the alpha channel occupied by a layer that you don't use and you can later change with the engine specific data.

Regards,
Adrian L.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot, leave the third layer completely untouched (with black mask) so the normalization will function correctly for the first 3 layers.
FranticAU
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you might have misunderstood me our engine uses the alpha channel so that’s not an issue as I can map a texture to the alpha channel

When exporting the image is flattened down into one layer or black. So we have to export each texture layer mask then add it in photoshop to a channel in the PNG and resave. Would be good to have the exporter create to save a step in the pipeline
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When exporting the image is flattened down into one layer or black.

I am still quite not sure I understand. Can you send me an image as processed by you in Photoshop?

The exporter can save up to four masks (from four different layers) into a single RGBA image (each in one channel) by checking the Export as multiple image channels option in the exporter UI.

Regards,
Adrian L.
FranticAU
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad it's photoshop, engine loves your file and has exported fine... Thanks again...... Very Happy

Jump to: