www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Split Texture Import? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
stbas
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Split Texture Import? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been recently working on creating a highly detailed terrain, for which I've generated a very detailed texture map (using a different tool) to import into Grome afterwards.

However, unfortunately, I have discovered that my texture is too big to be exported as a single file (purely due to the lack of RAM, doh!), so I had to split it into several 8192x8192 parts.

But I cannot find a way to "merge" those texture parts upon importing the .raw terrain in Grome. *Is* there such a possibility at all?
Can I import a texture mosaic to cover one piece of terrain? Or would I have to write a separate script for that?

Many thanks in advance!
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

8196 is usually the biggest texture the current video cards support. But you will find out that the performance is really low on that size. 2048 is usually the biggest you can safely use with good performance.

In Grome I recommend creating multiple terrain zones each with a texture of 2048 assigned to it (broke the zones in multiple parts so you have this maximum size assigned to them). I think that the raw import can take a very large jpg file and it will automatically broke it on multiple terrain zones. So you just need to merge your image back into one big jpg and then choose to create multiple terrain zones from the plugin UI (from zones on x and zones on z) so the final image per terrain zone is 2048 pixels.

In case your image is too big for the raw importer to handle, you can try to import the zones in multiple sessions. Just call the import plugin multiple times and use a zone origin import (from Position X and Position Z in the plugin UI) so the new zones are aligned with the existing zones on proper positions. The position x and z is the center of the new zones to be imported.

Make sure you have enough memory space in Grome to handle your scene. You can choose to swap out to disk the existing Grome zones before importing the new ones.

The next Grome version will have a new plugin that allows import of very large images from geotiff images with streaming from disk and usage of Grome swap.

Let me know if you have any problems. If necessary you can send me your data and let me have a try.

Regards,
Adrian L.
stbas
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Adrian,

This information helps a lot.
I will definitely try importing the texture in multiple sessions, that seems to be the solution I needed.

Hopefully, I won't need to bother you again. Smile

Jump to: