www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Wand Mask Tool « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
makit3d
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Wand Mask Tool Reply with quote

A tool similar to the Photoshop mask wand would help in selecting areas of a HF map that are large and perhaps border complex areas.

For instance, I have HF map with a beach front that is somewhat complex. It goes from beach to elevated ground to cliff face and then, eventually flood plain and river inlet.

The wand tool would help me to pick that 'sea' area and modify it slope off from the beach (according to bathymetry data). Also, with the same tool a 'invert selection' would allow me to chose the opposite and then modify the beach either for terrain editing or perhaps texturing.

Or have I missed another tool already present?
Mihai
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have a similar tools. With the select brush (SelBrush) you can paint your selection and also you can select by altitude, slope and angle with selection generator (SelectionGen).

The diference between the mask selection from photoshop and selection from Grome is that in grome you select the actual geometry (polygons) while in photosop you select an image (pixels) (you can see in the video tutorials how you can work with the selection layers )
makit3d
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those I realized were present and they work wonderful. The reason I ask about a general mask tool like the PS wand is to quickly pick large areas with a single stroke.

The example I can give is my own project. It has hundreds of miles of coastline. In generating the HF maps from digital sources the surrounding water is also saved with the terrain information (actually it's a void area with digital files).

Having a fast and simple method to select this area would save me a great deal of time. After all isn't the terrain created based on an image file and any changes made are essentially modifications of that image? Wouldn't a wand tool make sense for selecting large areas?
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right. A tool like this would be very useful. It should be something like the selection generator (based on some altitude ranges) but local, only where you apply the wand. Thus you can easily select the zones you click on and have some feature restrictions (select only sea bottom for example). We are adding this in the wish list and see how it prioritized with the rest of the features.

Jump to: