www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Inverted terrain HF map « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
makit3d
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Inverted terrain HF map Reply with quote

My WIP thread in the User Gallery shows two HF maps. The lower left map was output from Global Mapper (8.01) as a .png. With PS I generated a .BMP file from it to use in Grome. The only changes I made were to blacken the areas that would be the sea.

The map never quite looked right to me, but I shrugged this off as not understanding the editor and how it generates Zones well enough to get past the problem.

There is an area on this map which is below sea level and there are beach areas. In Grome the beach areas look like trenches and the other area appears as a spiked valley.

To test my inverted map theory I opened the file again in Global Mapper, created a DEM, opened it in 3DEM, output a Terragen file (I realize I can do this in GM but I wanted to completely avoid color shading, just in case..), opened the Terragen file and output a .BMP using the F.E.O export plugins.

I realize this is a very drawn out method, but it works. Because of the nature of my project this has been a normal method to get a HF map into an editor....it's a long story...

Anyway, to continue, the HF map now looks perfect. The original HF map went through several modifications in PS such as changing the mode and the file type (too many options to list).

The first thought that came to mind was that Global Mapper was outputing an inverted image. Except it looks fine in PS and in other editors. This leads me to believe there are file type requirements or anomolies which are inherent in Grome.

Thoughts?
makit3d
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also point out that the L3DT HF map seems to be fine (the mountainous HF map in my WIP thread). Another reason I am inclined to look at Global Mapper as the possible culprit.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is an area on this map which is below sea level and there are beach areas. In Grome the beach areas look like trenches and the other area appears as a spiked valley.

Maybe this problem is caused by the grayscale precision. To be noted that the quick import uses only 256 levels greyscales so a lot of resolution is lost (you only have 256 vertical levels). With the help of the SDK you can import high precision data (16 bit raws for example) that covers large areas of terrain (multiple zones and with an option to swap along as you import).

There are no requirements inherent to Grome and grayscales. The heightmap should not appear inverted. White is high, black is low. Check if in other programs (PS) appears correctly. If it does, so it should be the import result. If you still have problems with it just PM a link to the image and I will try to debug it.
makit3d
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this again with another file and had the same issue. I've also tried this file in other programs and it does not become inverted after being imported. I will send a link to the file in e-mail.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the files and I will test them shortly and let you know. Thanks.

Jump to: