www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Question about MaskGenerator>DistributionMasks « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Question about MaskGenerator>DistributionMasks Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to slap a dirt texture on top of my grass texture using a mask that I generated in Photoshop, instead of solely relying on parameters such as altitude and slope.

Is this possible?

Under the Texturing\Procedural\MaskGenerator\Parameters tab, I see 2 icons under each Distribution Mask, along with the options "Active" and "Color".

The 2 icons are: a colour icon and a "X" icon.

What is the "X" icon for exactly? I get pretty unpredictable results when I use, and I can't find documentation that explains it fully.
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The X can be used to include a user mask (bmp, greyscale or rgb (which will be transformed to greyscale)) to be used instead of a solid color (usually white) when distributing the final layer mask.

So basically when the tool starts it will first check the altitude, direction and slope (called distribution mask params) and decide a weight (0 -> 100%) how much to apply to the mask. After this it takes the color (black = 0% and white = 100%) from the solid color the mask from X button (let's call it user color/mask) and multiply it with the first weight.

So the final layer mask for a pixel is = weight (distribution mask) * weight (user color/mask).

Now, another thing to consider is that the user mask has a coverage of 1 pixel to 1 pixel with the final layer mask. So if the layer mask is 512 x 512 pixels and you have a user external mask of 256 x 256, it will be tiles 2 x 2 on the layer mask when applied.

So you can use this method by providing a photoshop made user mask of the same size as the layer mask and using 0..90 at slope, full direction and full height range for the distribution (so your user mask is applied on the entire layer).

Alternatively there is a simpler method. Just go to the selection tab, open the layer click on the mask and browse to your photoshop made user mask.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Adrian
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alicu,

What happens then if you uncheck the "Color" checkbox?

Does it disregard the "weight (distribution mask)" and only use "weight (user color/mask)"?
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to uncheck that box if you want the user mask image to be used. Otherwise the color is used even if you select a mask texture. This is a check to indicate if the color or the user mask is to be used (cannot be used both at the same time).

There is no way to disregard the distribution mask (it wouldn't made sense since this tool is all about distribution masks, to set a normal layer mask just use the second method I've presented by clicking on the layer view list).

If you still want to use only your user mask, just use a default distribution mask (after you press + the new distribution mask will indicate the entire range of height, direction and slope for the current scene) and uncheck Color. If you uncheck Active the distribution mask is not used at all.

Regards,
Adrian

Jump to: