www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Texture Painting on the terrain. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
makit3d
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Texture Painting on the terrain. Reply with quote

I did not find this in Grome or the help file and am wondering if I missing it.

Painting textures directly onto a terrain surface and have the alpha channel dynamically created. It is nice to be able to paint a texture onto an area regardless of slope or height.

Is this a feature already and I missed it? If not I'll make this one more post in the Features Request forum category.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no automatic creation of alpha channel for now.
You need to create the layer data first by assigning it to zones. At assignment you select a diffuse texture and a size and an initial color for the mask image. That layer now has that diffuse and mask for the selected zones. Then you arm it and paint it with MaskBrush.

What you probably want is to select a diffuse texture and just paint with it and the corresponding layer data to be created automatically. This is not yet implemented as it would have some inconsistencies with the current way of working (which is create layers, assign specific data and edit). Where the new layer is created, on top? What if you already have that texture on another layer, paint on that? What if you have it on one of the selected zones and on others you don't? What mask size to use? What mapping for the diffuse? There are a lot of problems to solve here.

But we looking into it and we will try to find out a solution to make the painting a little more straightforward.
Mihai
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Painting textures directly onto a terrain surface and have the alpha channel dynamically created. It is nice to be able to paint a texture onto an area regardless of slope or height.

Yes , you can paint directly onto terrain, you can use MaskBrush tool, but make sure that the layer of texture that you whant to paint is in use
makit3d
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Smile I was certain there was a way.

I certainly am anxious for this to be released if for no other reason than to be able to save my work and than come back to it later to explore the features more in-depth.
Mihai
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By using MaskBrush tool you actually paint the mask of the layer, reviling or hiding the diffuse texture from that layer, diffuse texture that can by tiled as much as you need (for more close resolution).

..but you also can paint with color, by using ColorBrush. Of course the layer must by without the mask only with diffuse texture (the diffuse texture always has no tile)
makit3d
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mihai. Very useful information. It's a great deal of fun to get into a new program and find these tricks, or techniques, which may not be as well documented as the main tools.
makit3d
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes , you can paint directly onto terrain, you can use MaskBrush tool, but make sure that the layer of texture that you whant to paint is in use
Had the opportunity to use this feature. It does exactly what I need it to do. In texturing a shorline it was just too difficult to get the texture to stay off of the landscape beyond. Using the MaskBrush made it realtively easy.

Jump to: