www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

OpenGL Rendering Module Status « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
amelcher
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: OpenGL Rendering Module Status Reply with quote

I am currently integrating this renderer into our in-house engine which primarily renders with OpenGL. From reading the documentation I am under the impression that there is currently only a DirectX 9 rendering module. If this is true when can I expect the OpenGL rendering module to be completed?

Thanks,

Aaron Melcher
Programmer
Midwest Electronics
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, indeed for now only DirectX9 module is completed. DirectX10 is under work, while the OpenGL version is not currently in plan. Grome, which is OpenGL based, uses Graphite for water and vegetation layers, but not for terrain. The terrain rendering, due to unique LOD requirements for an editor (the terrain data can be changed any time) uses another rendering module, much less optimized (but allows the data to be edited). So there is a variant of some parts of OpenGL rendering for Graphite, but the main part (terrain) is only DirectX based.

That being said, we have multiple variants here to help you:

1 - We can provide you with all the necessary data (what kind of lod to use, how each type of terrain layer shading needs to be implemented etc) so you can implement the OpenGL terrain rendering yourself (but there is much time to be spent for this task).

2 - License Graphite source code and we will help you to port it to OpenGL. Graphite was designed so each module can be easily changed. Rendering module (including texture manager, geometry buffers constructions, shading submodules etc) can be changed without affecting other parts of the library (LOD remains intact, memory allocator, file formats, Grome exporter etc).

3 - Pay as part of customization contract so we do the porting to OpenGL for you. As part of this solution we will license the entire source code to you. If you are interested in this approach please drop me an email and I can send you details.

I am sorry that Graphite is not yet OpenGL based. Many of our clients are using it for game titles, which most are using DirectX.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.
amelcher
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. Since we are currently only targeting windows it seems like it would be easiest if I just finished up our in-house DirectX9 renderer. I may follow up on number 2 or 3 in the future when we may need to support non-windows platforms.

Thanks,

Aaron
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a followup, for anyone interested, the latest versions of Graphite are now supporting OpenGL (most of the DirectX features were ported to OpenGL too). Anyone interested about details drop us an email at contact at quadsoftware.com

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
kalwalt
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is chance to have a unix version of the graphite engine? this make sense if you are developing a OpenGL module . this will be useful also for Android platform once you port the Graphite engine to Unix.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We are considering porting Graphite to Android but I cannot give you a certain deadline. Currently we are heavily working on adding new features to the DirectX version for PC with OpenGL (also PC) following. Currently Graphite is mostly used on PC (MMORPG, simulations etc, usually games/applications that need very large outdoor scenes). We have it ported to PS3 (which is using a flavor of OpenGL ES too) by some clients for their custom projects so consoles may be another possibility in the future. The source code is indeed easily customizable as separate modules are provided for each functionality and subsystem (it was designed to be easily changed and integrated into custom engines).

But again, I cannot give you a certain date for a specific platform. Its development is mostly driven by the bulk of our main clients, which basically are using it for PC platform.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
kalwalt
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely understood your point and the situation. I haven't tried yet the Graphite engine, just looked at the demo example but i compared the osgCanyon example with Lod (following all the steps explained in yours pages) and the Graphit example it seems Gaphite has more fps. But i need more tests, could be that wasn't the same conditions. Anyway thanks for the honest and quickly answer.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 2 Canyon maps are quite different. The one from OSG is using simplified meshes (so the LOD applies only 3 discrete levels of details on static meshes (one mesh per terrain zone)), while the Graphite demo is using heightmap based LOD (solution specific to Graphite and which cannot be easily transferred to OSG). In OSG, I also think that is possible to use heightmap based LOD, but the entire export process would probably be different and I am not quite familiar with what terrain systems OSG has.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: