www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

WIP-makit3d « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
makit3d
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: WIP-makit3d Reply with quote

Here is a current test project with 2 HF maps. It's just a start and I'll post textured images soon.

Below is a fictitious HF map created with L3DT to the upper right and the lower left zone is a HF map of an area of Normandy France. In this shot I was working on merging the two together at the seams with the smudge tool and creating a gradient slope up to the beach area with the Normandy map. There is still a raised area that needs to be lowered, but I haven't gotten around to the selection are yet.

There are also several areas that are just too spikey for the terrain. Not sure how to combat this or deal with it before it gets created.

makit3d
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to quit this terrain before I could get very far, but when I arrived home I started it up again. I realized that making a 512 zone with (I think this is right) 10 units created a terrain which was almost perfect. this is for the lower left Normandy file mentioned above.

That terrain section is supposed to be approximately 3kmx3km and it is nowhere near as vertically scaled as it shows in the previous post. Later this evening I'll continue working on it since I left Grome running when I went to bed and left for work.

It will be interesting to see if it remains running all this time.
Mihai
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are also several areas that are just too spikey for the terrain. Not sure how to combat this or deal with it before it gets created.

You can solve this problem with the SelectionGen tool, by selectig all the spikes and then you can use HSmooth to smooth'em all.

Other thing is that usually the HF don't have all the detail you need (visually speaking), and maybe its better to add a new layer of heightmap with a litte bit of noise (generated by fractal noise) on top of the imported ones. Thus you can greatly improve the visual apperance of the scene and keep the imported general forms.
You can do this after the HSmooth.
makit3d
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I tried that this weekend and it works out quite well. For the above scene it wouldn't matter since it is more of a softer, rolling hills scene.

BTW, the program remained running for approx. 16 hours before an apparent ATI driver problem crashed it once again. I'll try this one again later today.
Mihai
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Maybe you already know this, but you can set your camera at any distance from the terrain (first person view) and walk on the terrain, this way
you can tell if the terrain has a rezonable resolution
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mihai wrote:
you can set your camera at any distance from the terrain (first person view) and walk on the terrain, this way

How? I didn't find this feature...
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goto workspace page (the leftmost page by default). Goto first tab (Workspace) then to second subtab (Scene). There you have all the global scene settings. One of them is Camera Settings. Right click and select Modify Global Camera Settings. There you have Walking height where it says how above the ground you are when in walking mode. By default (because we are using meters) is 1.8 (a normal person height). Change that to any value you want. You can see all these settings in program's help in Editor Framework -> Scenes and Projects -> Scene Environment Settings.

Now, in the viewport you have multiple navigation modes. By default you are in FreeCam. You can change in WalkMode by pressing 'O' (by default) or by choosing Walking Mode from View modes in the viewport context menu (the right most button in the viewport top-right corner). Once in walk mode all your movement is stuck on the terrain. To exit this mode and enter the normal fly mode just press 'P' or pan the camera (middle mouse and move).

The camera movement speed can be also modified by CONTROL + mouse wheel. It is shown in viewport information as current speed and maximum speed. With shift pressed you accelerate the movement (sort of running mode).

The walk mode gives you a better view from player perspective.
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I found everything before, but the "O" Very Happy

That was the magic option.
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Smile , W was taken by the move forward (by standard W S A D keys movement). Anyway, you can change all the shortcuts from Options -> Customize Keyboard.

Jump to: