www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

resolution suggestion « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
lostbetween
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: resolution suggestion Reply with quote

I want to do a scene using this as a photo reference, but with no mountains. Eventually down the road, I want to make village in it with individual buildings and hedges and such....as if it were for a game So what resolution do I need to start with?

ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mountains, only the nearby hills? The resolution really depends not only on the map features but of your game type. For a flight simulator the resolution is lesser (something from 10 to 50 meters per terrain tile), while for a first person game (characters walking on the ground, which I think is your case) you need to use a denser resolution (from 1 to 5 meters per tile).

Also, how big is the scene (in square km)? What is the minimum hardware requirements and framerate?

For a current generation game of first person game (RPG, FPS etc) with a map of, let's say, 5 by 5 km, you can use 2 meters (world units) per tile.

Also you can use denser resolution for gameplay areas while for background (where the player can't go) you can use a resolution of 50 meters or even more). Grome allow for different zones resolutions but the tiles numbers must be multiple of one-another (example a zone is made of 512 tiles of 2 meters while another is made of 128 tiles of 8 meters, so the ration of tiles at the border is 4 to 1 (that is 512/128)).

Regards,
Adrian L.
lostbetween
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the area I wish to recreate. If I were making this for an actual game, I would want to make this whole area playable in first person, while the areas beyond would not be. However I am making this as an example for Dave. I want some experience in different resolutions, but I won't need the whole thing to be high resolution. Later when I use it for my own purposes, I will only need the village and the roads right next to the village to be high resolution for creating art scenes for my portfolio.

The 4 squares in the middle is the area that would need to be high resolution and interactable. So according to my muse's notes, approximately 16 X 16 kilometers. How do I see what my hardware requirements and framerate are?
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the center are is of 16 by 16 km, you can use a tile size of 4 meters (good enough resolution for first person view) and thus create the 2 by 2 patches from center as 4 by 4 Grome terrain zones of 1024 tiles each (with 4 units per tile: 4zones x 1024 x 4 meters = approx 16 km).

Then for the border patches (where you don't need that big resolution) use a smaller res. Let's say 16 by 16 units per tile so you have one patch from the image = 1 zone from Grome of 512 tiles (so you have 1 zone x 512 tiles x 16 units per tile = 8 Km for each border patch). One zone from the border will be neighbor with with 2 denser zones from the center.

So, in the end you have:

- for the border patches: one patch is of 512 tiles, each tile is of 16 meters (units).
- for the 2 by 2 center patches from the images: you have 4 by 4 Grome terrain zones of 1024 tiles each, with one tile = 4 meters.

That is if you are using the 64bit Grome build (which I recommend). If you are using 32bit you may need to swap some zones out of memory or use a lower resolution (half of the above).

Regards,
Adrian L.
lostbetween
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't open it Grome in 64 bit. Is there something I can do about that?

lostbetween
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the meantime, is this right?

ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 64 bit is not running I think you have a 32 bit operating system. You need to install windows vista or XP on 64bit (also make sure your processor supports 64bit). Grome 64bit is much faster than 32bit so I recommend it for any serious work.

Also, about the last post, yest that is ok. It will create 8 by 8 km with 4 meters per tile.

Regards,
Adrian L.
lostbetween
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do I find out if it supports 64 bit?

lostbetween
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, this is where the walkcam view mode puts me. Is there a way to set it so I can walkcam closer? Thats my road down there.

ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how do I find out if it supports 64 bit?

It seems that your processor is Intel E2160 which supports 64bit. But you need to install a 64bit operating system for it (XP 64bit or Vista 64bit).

Quote:
Is there a way to set it so I can walkcam closer?

Yes, it is in the Workspace panel (left panel), at Scene subtab. Expand Scene tree and right click on Camera Settings and select Modify Global Camera Settings... Then select the proper walking height in that dialog. All the scene tab options are explained in the Grome help.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.
lostbetween
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm..it appears my operating system disk is not in its sleeve...I hope its not still at my daughter's in MI *looks around*
lostbetween
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone ahead and started working on this scene in 32 bit. If its a memory thing, is this why I keep stalling the program? Usually when doing somethign with vegetation. Anyways, here's some progress:

ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, vegetation can be memory consuming. The program tries to cleverly bring in and out of memory details as you move on the map. Using a lower range of visibility will help reduce the stalls (you can use smaller ranges when editing and then increase them before exporting). 64bit and a video card with more memory would help here.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: