www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Heightmap and texture supporting formats « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Geovis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Heightmap and texture supporting formats Reply with quote

Hi Adrian,

I'm trying to import heightmap and textures to GROME. With the imoprt function I managed to import only .raw files. Is there a way to import other formats like tif or georeferenced tiff or even TIN's?

After importing the .raw image I managed to load texture, but only in .jpg format. Are other formats supported, like png, gif, dds, geotiff? Can I import a 4 band 16 bit texture?

Thank you for your help
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Out-of-the-box 16bit raw, dted and bt are supported for heightmap. Many other programs (like Global Mapper) can take a multitude of gis formats and convert it to either dted or raw.

Another variant would be to create your own import plugin using the Grome SDK. We do plan to add support for geotiff but I cannot give you a certain date. I am more than happy to assist you in case you plan to create your own plugins.

As for images, you can try to create layers on top of the imported heightmap and use images from any format (dds, png, jpg etc). If you create multiple terrain zones in Grome you may need to cut the texture per zone prior to assigning them to layers.

4 band 16bit textures? Are you referring to HDR textures with 16 bit per channel?

Regards,
Adrian L.
Geovis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Shapefiles import Reply with quote

Hello again,

I cannot import a shapefile. I'll describe you the procedure I'm following and maybe you could tell me what I am doing wrong.

I've noticed that GROME uses Geographical Coordinates in case you want to load georeference information. So, I changed the raw files and the according shapefiles into a projection using the Geographical coordinate system. First of all, in the Workspace->Scene->Georeference I define manually the coordinates to coincide with the left top pixel of my shapefile. I am importing the raw file (16 bit), in 10x10 zones. I am selecting and unswapping some of the zones - in the corners and some in the middle - and not all because otherwise I have allocation memory messages and the sw crashes. I am assigning the heightmap level 0 to the selected zones and put it enabled and in use. Afterwards, from Terrain->Modifiers->Selection->ShapeSelect tool, I'm trying to import and apply the shapefile and nothing happens.

What is wrong in the procedure? Am I missing some steps? Thank you in advance for your answer.
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I think this procedure should work. Can you send me a sample data (the raw file, the shape file and the georeference value you've used). Please use licu at quadsoftware.com email address. Let me know if the archive is bigger than 10MB and I will send you the data of a FTP account to use.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Hyperg
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

There are a couple of issues with the numbers for the raw file, first one being that the RAW importer won't accept the given dimensions of 5232x3208@16bpp for the file, as the computed size of the data is different. It worked with 4096x4096@16 instead, but that's not the main problem.

The second issue and the most important one is the relation between the georeference units-per-degree value and the tile size. Usually, when importing georeferenced data (such as DTED), the tile size and the u/deg values are properly computed by the importer, but in the case of the RAW file, you need to compute the values beforehand. If the raw file is imported with the default tile size of 100units, the value you specified for the u/deg (41879), yields a very small domain for the shapefile to work on, in terms of heightmap vertices. The shapefile is basically rasterized in heightmap grid space, and the "touched" heightmap vertices are being given a weight value. Setting 41879 for the u/deg value will rasterize the provided shape over at most 2-3 heightmap vertices from the imported data.

I've increased the u/deg value ten times (to 418790) and we were able to select some visible portions of the heightmap, but this is certainly not a correct placement of the shape data into the georeferenced space. You will simply need to create a much denser heightmap underneath the area occupied by the shapefile (create more than 10x10 terrain zones), so the selection process will have enough vertices to produce a visible result.

Here's our result with the increased u/deg value and as you can see, even in those conditions, the heightmap surface resolution is not big enough (given that the shapefile represents a street network)

A better solution will be to import already georeferenced data (DTED level 0 is freely available for virtually entire Earth), or to use a conversion software to refine the RAW data into a georeferenced DTED. This will ensure a proper georeference computation process and also smooth interpolation of data, if the imported DTED patch is not dense enough.

Jump to: