www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

is grome demo good for someone who is new... « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
crikk23
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: is grome demo good for someone who is new... Reply with quote

so , I've tried some stuff a little(basically could not do nothing on them : / )

So, would it be a bad idea for me to try starting off with Grome Editor ? I have little to no idea what I'm doing?(I may even have problems starting it up, I'm that bad XD)

or

could I get started with using Grome Editor ? ? ?
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to our community.

Can you provide more information about what you've tried to do and it didn't materialize as you've desired?

I am a programmer and still managed to do some good looking things with Grome, but again, I am one of the programmers that worked on the editor so I know all its "secrets". The good part about its procedural tools is that you don't need to work hard to achieve good results, just need to know the correct parameters combination. So even if at the beginning some editor settings may seem hard, once you get hang of them you can quickly create natural looking scenery.

So, please, let me know what you need to create and we may be able to provide you with some hints. Also the video tutorials are a good place to start:
http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=Editor/tutorials_index

Regards,
Adrian L.
crikk23
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well with other programs i didn't do anything other then hit buttons Embarassed

I've been playing with the demo and starting to get some basics

but the closes thing i ever got to a editor was age of empires map builder ...and even then got lost a few times : /

so basically I have 0% idea what im doing Confused

was hoping to start getting into make games for years but never had no idea how to start.

I also noticed there are videos but is there anyway to get basic info on what simple buttons and bars are used for?

or should I maybe start somewhere else? maybe some books i need to read up on?

(sorry if there's any grammar or spelling errors )

Edit:also anyway to pause the videos? they open in a window and i cant stop them : / and i like to try following videos as they go on.
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Everybody needs to start from the beginning Smile

The tutorials do cover all the basics but in general it is a good idea to have knowledge how 3D programs usually works (what to expect from a 3d modeling program, like viewports, camera movement, shortcuts).

Also when working in 3d field you need to have an idea about concepts like: video cards settings and capabilities (AA, texturing and mapping, vertices). Also when working with terrain programs you need to know about terrain zones (patches), terrain tile (distance between two vertices), terrain grid, layers of textures etc. A good place to start is here:
www.vterrain.org. It contains lots of links to terrain related information. Also terranuts.com forum contains some good tips and lots of guys that can help.

Grome has a somehow standard UI layout for a modeling application: left panel contains the layers, middle the viewports, up you have the main menu while the left contains the tools panel (same as 3DS Max panel).

Having some knowledge about terra forming (applying fractals, erosion etc) and about manual editing with brushes will help.

Please let me know if I can offer any assistance while you experiment with the demo version.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: