www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Exporting « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Mag-Tac
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Exporting Reply with quote

Is it possible to export the terrain to 24 or 32 PNGs instead of 8bit?
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Are you referring to heightmap? If this is the case, yes, heightmaps can be saved in 16bit one channel PNG from the General Large Data Export plugin. Just select PNG at the Heightmap section.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Mag-Tac
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I meant to say heightmap.... You can probably move this to a Torque 3D area. In Grome I I could not import heightmaps into T3D, I have sent GG a sample PNG and they are checking why. I get too many IDAT errors on them.

So... with Grome II I was hoping to get 24/32bit for more detail but the 16 should work.

Seems my real problem is getting the heightmap output in powers of 2. I can get my test map to export at 257 but not 256 which T3D wants and the mask layers must match as well. Once I open in Pain.NET and resize and save all works. But for the terrainzone snapshots, T3D will crash unless I only add one channel...

But... At least I can bring the heghtmaps in and make a simple terrain:)

ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can either resize the exported heightmap or you can work with power of two minus one tiles in Grome (the editor allows this).

Does T3D uses the type of masks layers produced by the General exporter? Do they need to be normalized? One per channel or separated?

We plan to make a special exporter for T3D (we have one for TGEA). I suspect that you can use the mission exporter from TGEA plugin so you can export the instancing, while for the heightmap and masks you can use the general exporter.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Mag-Tac
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was exporting some existing terrains, so I will try and create one with a power of two minus one and see what happens.

As far as normalized? Not sure. But.. it will take an RGBA image and create 4 opacity layers (crashes with me so far) or it will take a single greyscale (documentation states 8bit) as a single channel for the mask, then of course you can add several of those.

And you are thinking like I was:) I will try the mission editor later this weekend, but I am sure it can work, although there have been some changes in how the mission which may require slight changes to make it work.

I have downloaded the SDK for the exporter as well. may play with that some too just for fun:)

Edit: Need to add the heightmap and opacity maps must all be the same size (h x w).
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the TGEA we will post the new binary version soon, that will work with Grome 2.0. It just needs to be recompiled. You can do that yourself, there are no source code modifications to be made, just recompile the sources with the 2.0 SDK.
Mag-Tac
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....

Just so you will know... I played around with the General Large Data Exporter and it produced the files needed to pull into T3D..

I can compile it, that's not a problem.. This is actually an area I may want to get into eventually, working with plugins for art pipelines...

Jump to: