www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

2.0 Announcement feedback « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
duke2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: 2.0 Announcement feedback Reply with quote

I'm quite impressed by the new release, although i'm a little annoyed we never got a 64bit compile in v1.0. The upgrade price is quite reasonable, however the omission of the advanced modules is ridiculous in light of the fact that damn near every other terrain editor has these features as a standard. Consider World Machine, L3DT and Unity's + T3D's own terrain editing features. What I fear is that Grome is falling a bit behind what cheaper alternatives are able to offer in some areas (although it excels in others, like layering).

What i'd ultimately like to see as an indie dev from Grome is this. Keeping in mind the indie budget, and the fact that the costs that come first are the engine and main art program for most of us:

- Road + River tool and the Adv. Lightmapping tool either as part of the standard package or as purchasable plugins priced at no more than 100 USD each.

- Similarly, actively developed plugins for Torque, Unity, etc. sold as purchasable modules, within the price range of an indie developer.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The customization modules are not public (sold separately per license) mainly because they are specific to various client tasks. They are not generic in their approach. There is a lot of work involved to make them general and commercial-quality. The main target of the customization program is professional studio which are the only one that can afford to have our programmers working dedicated for their job to make their custom tools.

Other editors may offer all sorts of tools but, in my opinion, most of them are doing at most an average job for each (offering a little from everything only to be able to say they support it). We will eventually end up with all these features in Grome but not before they are 100% ready and flexible enough so the they can be used by everyone.

Another issue is the budget. Any company must sustain itself. An important part of our business is customization program with our pro users (which already runs for 2 years now but we didn't advertise for it). The public offering of Grome for really is a bonus. We are not forced to do this from our revenues point of view, but we want to do it and to offer good support along while being committed to continue to launch future versions. We've lowered the price for indies, while for companies we've put the price close (but still under) other modeling professional tools.

Support for other engines are under way. As part of our pro-indie believes, most of them will be free for Grome users. We will offer a special outdoor rendering library, Graphite, free in binary form for indies. They can use this with any engine/application to obtain the same scenes from Grome but with higher performance.

64 bit version is present only in Grome 2 since we need to modify some of the modules structure and to do various internal modifications which required a lot of work, new testing etc.

Expect new upgrades to Grome 2.x. As usual, all upgrades to 2.x are free. We usually have good additions to 2.1, 2.2 etc. When switching to 3.0, with upgrade price, you can be sure that there will be a significant functionality update, as 2.0 is compared with 1.x.

Thank you for your feedback.
Adrian L.
mrhiggens
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this kinda sucks seeing as i just payed more for grome 1 pro and now grome 2 indie is cheaper? Im guessing a don't get a discount for the upgrade do I Razz
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We wanted to make Grome more accessible to independent developers. So we've lowered the price of the pro version while removing standard since it was considered too limited by most people.

We also wanted to offer Grome 1 clients some advantages so the upgrade price is only 95 Eur to get the indie license (again, indie license is full license, it has no limitations).

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: