www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Gradient ramp « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
makit3d
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Gradient ramp Reply with quote

Too specific? In dealing with water bodies it could be helpful to use a gradient ramp to define shorelines, drop-offs, riverbed levels and so on.

Also, it might be a nice way to define roadway boundaries or pathways that lead to elevated areas.

I apologize if this is already an implementation and I haven't found it yet. I do that from time to time. Smile
Hyperg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I understand the term "gradient ramp" in relation to the editing processes you specified (shorelines, etc).

Do you speak about a grayscale elevation modifier or is it related to the way elevation brushes do / should work?

Can you please give us more details about the subject? Maybe we are looking at the same thing from different perspectives...
makit3d
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically an editing method by brush. Similar to level, raise or lower except you choose a start point and an end point. In-between a 'ramp' is created based on strength, radius, etc.

There was a program I used this with (can't remember the name). I had a large hilly scene with a beachfront and some cliff faces. I needed to create a pathway from the beach up to the top of the hills. It then lead to the top of the one cliffs overlooking the sea where I had a lighthouse.

The ramp tool made it easy to create the pathway. There wasn't a need to smooth, level or modify the terrain since the ramp tool did this. It was very fast to do and later I could modify it to blend into the terrain and look like a worn foot path.

Hope this clarifies it.
Hyperg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if you refer to the EarthSculptor's Ramp tool, in which you click on the first surface point and drag to find the second point on the terrain surface (to create a ramp between them), we agree that it could be an useful tool, but a rather redundant addition to the spline road tools that we're going to implement. It would be far more easy to define the pathway on the surface and let the tool do the rest, rather than trying to match several "ramps" together to obtain the pathway. Obviously, a single road segment could be created between two different elevation endpoints, and by such creating in fact an elevation ramp.

For less elaborate pathways, we used the smudge brush tool with a small strength setting and a high smoothness value (and eventually with the AirBrush mode ON). If you follow the pathway with the brush tip, the landscape will be "carved" to gradually follow your brush stroke, and by that creating roads or plateaus (depending on your brush size compared to the overall terrain scale).
makit3d
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Thank you for the information. When it become possible to save a file I will have more opportunity to experiment with the current tools and discover what they can do.

The splines feature is one of my top 5 favorites. For me it would provide the most in flexibility and production efficiency. Is there any definitive answer on when it would be included?
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road editing tool will be present in the version 2 of the program (but not all its editing details are yet defined).

Jump to: