www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Including maps « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Arthr702
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Including maps Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

after some map-creations i want to include my scenes in c++, or in our game.
So how can I import my scene in our programm? Are there any code snippets to use, ore someone else? I exported my maps into a collada file. But I couldn't found any examples on their homepage.
So thanks for answering.
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Grome comes with a well documented SDK. In case you have a Grome license, you will find the SDK in the SDK/Grome folder and this also includes source code for all the default plugins (export to COLLADA, OSG, text, RAW, various image formats, import from BT, RAW, utility plugins). The SDK is C++ and you can use any standard compiler.

My suggestion is to not use COLLADA to export data since .dae format is not really suitable for terrain (you will loose the concept of vertex grid, terrain LOD etc). Best solution would be to:

1) create your own export plugin directly to your engine format

or

2) export heightmap to 16 bit raw or png, and the layer images to some standard image formats. Create an importer into your engine from these data files.

Also, please let me know your engine. In case it is a license of a well known engine, there is some chance that an integration process is already existent between Grome and this engine.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Arthr702
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ALicu,

i will try it soon. Now, we don't use an popular engine, because we spent our freetime to create a game. So the money is rare.
But we use a plugin for png. files. And you said, thats the best way to manage the terrain.

Jump to: