www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Considering Purchase « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Mag-Tac
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Considering Purchase Reply with quote

I registered yesterday with my comcast account and never got a reply, so I figured comcast was blocking email again. You can delete the old account magnum164.

I am considering buying the pro version for use with TGEA. I have been looking for info on how the objects are used. From what I am reading if I place trees, brush or any object in Grome, when exported it uses the corresponding DTS object in TGEA and builds it form a mission file with the exporter? If this is true, then pretty much consider it sold as that will help quickly build the terrains I need.
Mag-Tac
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as with most boards and searching, you can find your answers. Looks like what I was looking for has been identified in this thread.

http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=218
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes, we did sent you several emails and they all return back by being rejected. Please check the spam folder, they should be there.

About the objects, your intuition is right. You can place objects in COLLADA format in Grome (using any Grome tool). So for each of your DTS object you need to have a corresponding dae (collada) object, and there are plenty exporter out there (in Max, Maya, Blender etc) that can export your objects both in dae and DTS format. Exporter will save all your objects in mission files with correct position, rotation and scale. The mission file is then imported along side the terrain in Torque.

To be also noted that the Torque exporter is offered with complete source code so it can be extended to any custom needs. You can download it from here:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=editor_torque

You can, for example, have custom properties attached in Grome to your scene objects. By using various conventions and using the values in these property tables you can then transform your Grome objects in other specialized Torque entities at export time. Example: have replacement gizmos indicating particle systems in Grome, attach Torque specific particle systems properties to these in Grome and edit them with property grid like UI, then at export transform these to particle system instances in mission files along side relevant parameters. So you can change the exporter source code and recompile it to save your custom game/project entities, too.

There are many other things that can be extended to the exporter to make Grome feel like a native editor for Torque. We are more than happy to implement or help implement these on the way for our community.

Please don't hesitate to contact us for any other information.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.
Mag-Tac
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast Reply Adrian. I figured my email was blocked. It does not go into my SPAM folder, just an FYI. Comcast blocks email from sites and use some sort of rating. So somewhere in your domain chain (probably at your Internet provider) Comcast has identified it as a spammer and flat out rejects the emails. I have problem with Garage Games email as well, so I have stated using another email account Smile

I have downloaded your demo files and have stared placing the Altas demo terrain in TGEA 1.8. A little different directory structure, I can pass it along if you like. Having trouble getting just a plain Atlas terrain in, but that is just me and learning the 1.8 and Atlas in general. Hopefully today I will have success.

Having the source code will be a huge benefit. I recently purchased L3DT and while it is a great package, the added touch of using GROME as a plain editor is going to help a lot.

Thanks.... And Merry Christmas to All:)

Randy
Mag-Tac
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One extra question.

I travel a lot and sometimes in my hotel room like to dabble with my game projects. Is your lic flexible enough to allow a second install for limited use like this? I generally just grab my laptop and run and use my backup files on a portable drive.

Jump to: