www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Exporting 3dsMax2008 mesh into Grome « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Exporting 3dsMax2008 mesh into Grome Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to bring into Grome a model that I created in 3dsMax2008. I've tried searching the forum for some steps on how to do this but I wasn't very successful, I might've missed it. I did see that most of the users have been able to bring their models into Grome without much problem using ColladaMax.

I don't have ColladaMax at the moment, instead I was using 3dsMax2008's FBX/DAE exporter. So far I haven't been able to bring my model across. I'd just like to list out the steps I took and if anyone could spot out my error, I would really appreciate your advice! Very Happy

3dsMax2008
1. Build a box, convert to editablepoly
2. Slap on a texture, default material, and a box UVMap
3. File\Export ( I can't use ExportSelected for DAE )
4. Default settings

Got a small 5k dae file."Cube.dae"

Grome
1. Go to PackageBrowser
2. Go to the directory where I placed my dae file
3. My dae file appears as a Folder rather than a file..
4. Look inside, nothing.
5. Tried to create a new object - New\GeometryLOD
6. Now inside the DataBrowser, I create a new level of detail
7. From the null, I select SetGeometry.
8. Again, nothing appears for me to select.
9. Click Cancel. Program crashes.

I'm pretty sure I messed up along the line, any ideas?

Thanks for reading Smile
Guigui
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have two solution for you, so that Grome recognize your .dae
1, you install Colladamax (it's free, just registering) http://www.feelingsoftware.com/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,69/Itemid,80/lang,en/
and to the export dialog, tick the compartment triangulate.
2, you pass by the COLLADA_Refinery http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=178682&use_mirror=garr&filename=COLLADA_Refinery_2.0.3.exe&16650413&abmode=1
Lauch the refinery.bat in "bin" folder. In conditionner, you choose polygons2triangles, connect to inpout & outpout, and execute.
And then, you must see your .dae in Grome.

Regards
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

@Guigui: from what I remember when I've used it, Colladamax exporter had an option to triangulate the result. If this is the case you can bypass the refinery step. Guigui, can you confirm this? Thank you.

@Jaggedge: Colladamax should be able to output a valid .dae file for you. From my experience the default FBX exporter cannot create valid .dae files.

Your exported dae file is seen as a folder since a collada file can contain multiple elements (can contain many objects, textures etc) so it is treated as a folder (package) which you open to see its content. If your folder doesn't contain any object it must have invalid format objects (you can try to use the refinery Guigui talked about to check its format).

The crash should not happened, it must be a bug, I have to check that.
Guigui
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, by default, max export a non valid .dae.
I badly expressed myself, my two points are two differents solutions.

You can use ColladaMax, and at the export, you have an option to triangulate the result.
OR
You can use ColladaRefinery, which is going to import your .dae, triangulate it, and reexport to another .dae file.

In the end, you will have a valid .dae, which you can import in Grome.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes you are right, these are two different solutions (I've misread your post). Thanks for the info.
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, hope you had a good weekend, and thanks for the replies! Very Happy

GuiGui> Sounds like the first option is the way to go, since it's more direct, but thanks for the alternative! It'll be useful if I only had dae files without their max files.

ALicu> Thanks for the explanation! I was curious about why it was registering as a folder Wink

I'll try ColladaMax today Smile
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I've had ColladaMax installed and it works great now. Initially I had some issues with the textures but I had it sorted out. Just thought I'd share:

As you can see in the 1st image, I couldn't get the textues to turn up, turns out it's because the name of my texture started with a number ( 1024.tga ) rather than a letter ( a1024.tga ). However, after renaming the texture and re-exporting, the change wasn't updated in Grome. Re-exporting as a new dae file worked just fine. Smile

ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for letting us know that. The number issue should not happen (do you have the latest Grome build, 1.20.20, several collada issues were resolved in it?). To show the new image, you can try to right click on the collada file (in Package Broswer) and select Reparse. If that doesn't work, right click on your object thumb and select Refresh.
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 1.20.14 at the minute, but i'll be upgrading to 1.20.20 within these couple of days. Thanks!
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I tested the problem that I had with texture names again with version 1.20.20. I used a texture with a name starting with a number, "1024.tga" and the problem's fixed! Texture shows up fine although the PackageBrowser still renames it inside its viewer "_024_tga_sampler".

I have a few other questions about the textures:

1. When I export the mesh from Max with ColladaMax, does the texture get packed into the DAE file, or is it just the location of texture?

I'd just like to get a better understanding of this because it affects the way I manage my data. What happened was that I renamed a texture "a1024.tga" to perform the above test, and the DAE files that were exported using that name didn't have their texture turn up inside the PackageBrowser after the change.

2. I had an object using a texture with alpha. In order to get the opacity to turn up, I had to "Edit" the object inside PackageBrowser, and change the Default material to "AlphaTest-NoLight".

How do I save this setting? The next time I opened the file it was reset.
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1. COLLADA keeps only references to textures so if you changed the name of the texture you need to also reexport your collada file. Usually you put the textures in the same folder as the collada file otherwise, the vast majority of exporters, will use an absolute (ex: c:\texs\my_image.tga") path rather than a relative one (so you have to keep the images on the same disk location).

COLLADA is changing the name of the texture reference because in its standard a file location (actually an URI) cannot begin with a number.

2. Yes, I know about this problem. The issue is caused by the fact that format plugins know only how to read objects, not to save them and you loose your material assignment.

One solution that I'm thinking about is to detect if we need alpha blend/alpha test based on the COLLADA material inside the file and the plugin will automatically assign a correct material. I will try to implement this and get back to you with the solution.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: