www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Can I export as a mesh to .obj .max or .3ds? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
asurma
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Can I export as a mesh to .obj .max or .3ds? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about buying grome standard... I'm a hobbyist, and I like to mod games.

I need to know if grome can export my terrain as a mesh to .obj, .max, or .3ds? I use 3dsmax9...

Before someone says that grome can export anything because it comes with a SDK, I'm not interested in developing my own plugins for the SDK in order to export to a file format I need. For the price tag, I want one of those available "out of the box".

Thanks in advance!
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you I think the best option would be to save to COLLADA (this can be imported to 3DS Max, Maya, Blender, XSI etc). Grome doesn't come with 3ds or obj export out-of-the-box, but it comes with COLLADA export. Another option would be to save your heightmap as 16bit RAW or PNG and I'm pretty sure there are Max plugins to convert that back to geometry.

You can find a COLLADA exported sample scene here:
http://www.quadsoftware.com/storage/4ZonesCOLLADA.rar

One thing to notice here is that all these formats (COLLADA, 3ds, max, obj) are not suitable to contain multiple layers of textures for the terrain (they can contain the terrain and objects geometry but not its multiple layers of textures). One solution would be to burn your multiple terrain layers into one single texture but you may loose resolution.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.
asurma
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the reply...

I've never heard of collada before coming to this site... I just did a google search and I did find plugins for it for 3dsmax, so that should work.

You're also right about the heightmap... there's a couple programs I have that can convert it to .obj, but that can buggy, so I'm hoping the collada plugin works out.

Ok, I'm sold... I'll try and find time to post about my experiences with grome standard edition.
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, let me know if you have any issues with it. You should be able to save the heightmap to collada, import it in max. The exporter is also capable to save the terrain layers images. You can even assemble a composite material (or a FX shader) in 3DS Max to visualize the terrain textured with multiple layers. Various people are using the COLLADA exporter. You can have many of their questions and solutions by searching "COLLADA" keyword on the forums.
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

It seems we cannot send you the license file to your registered email (all our emails are blocked by your spam filter). Can you send me another email address I can use (mine is licu at quadsoftware.com)? Or please check your spam box for the messages. Thank you!

Jump to: