www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Seams not sticking together « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Sparticus
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Seams not sticking together Reply with quote

I'm creating zones side by side with different procedurals, and then trying to tie them together. They are the same exact resolution, so was expecting them to glue together but they didn't. So then used the elevation tool to bring the seems even and then began using other tools to reshape the area. When i use other tools to then bring shape back to the seams....the seems pull apart....

Am i doing something wrong ?
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can you post a screenshot of the seams? Select "no texturing" mode to show only the lit geometry (or select wireframe if that's better). Also how many layers of heightmap do you have? Are there all "in use" on both zones?
For version 1.3 we are also preparing a seam removal tool.
Sparticus
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will post a screenshot when i get home later. No heightmap layers yet. Think there may be one I threw in there but didn't poplulate with data and it does not overlap between the two zones.

I even deleted on of the two zones and recreated and the zones still won't "stick together Sad
Sparticus
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...things are acting irractic and I'm not really able to reproduce. I went in to take a picture of the wireframe and send to you and noticed (much to my dismay) that the zones appeared to have different resolutions, meaning that one sqare on one side mapped to ten on the other which then obviously explained the "holes" in the seams. I was confused, because i thought i did them all the same resolution, proceeded to swap out the zone and open another to check one that i had created at the same time. That one had the higher resolution, so I then opened the original zone back up and low and behold it had reverted back to the original resolution and the seams were once again lined up.

So during the time I swapped it out and swapped it back in...it switched resolutions....at least visually....

Any ideas ?
Sparticus
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think perhaps I'm getting too close to max memory...although I'm at around 46% (of 4 gigs total). As the program usually has issues when i hit 50%, doesn't have error handling and crashes.

At 46% I seem to get an error in message window that says:

Error allocating the lod index buffer.

Hadn't noticed this before....not sure what it means...

Thanks for the help, looking foward to 64 bit version Very Happy
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, your problems may be caused by the fact that terrain LOD cannot allocate enough memory (since you are reaching the 2GB limit). So LOD may not be properly created giving the impression that there is different resolution. How big are your zones (no of tiles)? How many? Please use swap to make sure you are in the memory limits.
Sparticus
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zones are 1000 tiles. I can open four without a problem....but after a while, sometimes i forget to close one or two and end up with 5 or 6 open at once which then causes issues.....
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, then it must be a memory allocating error. Try to have only 4 in memory at one time. We are also working on a 64 bit version of the editor which will fix some of these large memory requirements issues.
duke2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope we see this 64bit version soon! It would make working on large terrains less like being beaten to death by a cob of corn.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi duke2, we are working on the 64bit version. It will be launched with the 1.3 update (sometime in September). We are also preparing methods that will allow you to work on many zones at once with automatic swapping/unswapping.

Jump to: