www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Presets « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Sparticus
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Presets Reply with quote

Is it possible to manipulate the presets for the mask generator and the materials layers without using the GUI. I have many different collections of preset values that I would like to organize externally and load into Grome as needed.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If your problem is caused by the fact that you have too many presets and don’t want all to be listed in the tool (the list becomes too long), you can use the Presets Manager (select Manage Tools Presets from Tools option) and save, load and discard (remove) sets of presets. You can have multiple presets files on disk and load only the ones you currently use. Actually, it is a good idea to backup your presets from time to time.

To be noted that you can also call tools with their parameters from scripts. You can construct scripts that activate a tool and set your custom values (with or without calling the tool). Look in the Scripts folder for example and also refer to the scripting documentation.

In the future builds I think it is a good idea to be able to organize presets on categories, disable, enable categories at will etc. Also user definable shortcuts to activate a certain preset is a good thing to have

Best Regards,
Adrian L.
Sparticus
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about for Layers. When you have a large number of zones the texture layers start to add up.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the fact that you have a very large scene and there is a variety or layer (some zones have some layer, some have others)? If this is the case, we usually use the same layers for different zones even though you have different textures / parameters.

For example (a simplified case just to demonstrate the concept), I have two zones, one is arid and one is with snow. I have 2 layers on each, for first mud and sand and for second mud and snow. I create two global layers, named "mud" and "sand/snow". Then for first layer I assign the same ground texture while for second I assign mud for first zone and snow for second.

The layers just give you the global order of materials. You don't have to have the same texture (for first zone sand is over the mud, while for second we have snow above). Also, for some zones some layers can be missing (they are not assigned, example: a third zone which has only mud). Layers list (the stack) is just a convenient way to present the materials on top of each other. You know you have 2 materials on top of each other, what are those depends from what zone to another (you can expand the layer and see what textures you have assigned for the selection).

You can also have layers of transitions. Example, if the arid and snow zones are neighbors, you have have all 3 layers: mud, sand and snow. Because you need make the transition between mud and snow. But in general you don't need transitions between all types of textures you use in a map, so the actual number of layers are far less that the texture variants you use.

Grome layering system based on global stack and assignment to selection was especially designed for this approach for very large scenes.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: