www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages


Post new topic  Reply to topic
 Of Roads and Water.... « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Author Message
makit3d
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Of Roads and Water.... Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 123

Here is something that came to mind ( I do apologize if any of my suggestions are already implemented. I get a bit excited about this program... )

My current project is huge. 27k sq/km. Lots of roads and waterways of various sizes.

A nice system to have is a way to place roadways on the terrain. It could have control points to provide control over how it interacts with the terrain (digs into it like a hard paved surface or lays on it like a gravel road).
Also, a way to use a profile to generate a road surface. For example a common 2 lane road is elevated at the center and slopes off to each side to allow for water runnoff. Another example is a 4 lane highway that slopes from the outside lane to the inside lane (fast lane to slow lane).

As for waterways a way to place a river, for example, that follow the terrain. Take a river that runs from a lake on a high plateu. The water from the lake may carve a river to the plateu edge and then drop over the ege to create a river down below. This river would snake across the landscape until it branches out enough to diminish out into various tributaries or another lake or...

The idea here is to be able to place points/paths on a lanscape and then have those points/paths generate a waterway. By following the terrain it could vary the depth and width of the waterway depending on the properties assigned by the designer or via algorithms.

I am not sure that was detailed correctly. I do have some references if you need them should you find this interesting or viable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 1328

Quote:
A nice system to have is a way to place roadways on the terrain. It could have control points to provide control over how it interacts with the terrain (digs into it like a hard paved surface or lays on it like a gravel road).
Also, a way to use a profile to generate a road surface. For example a common 2 lane road is elevated at the center and slopes off to each side to allow for water runnoff. Another example is a 4 lane highway that slopes from the outside lane to the inside lane (fast lane to slow lane).


Road tool is already in the to-do list for the version 2. The system is pretty similar with what you’ve already described. It will be fully controllable by the user using visual gizmos and will react to and modify the terrain.

Quote:
As for waterways a way to place a river, for example, that follow the terrain. Take a river that runs from a lake on a high plateu. The water from the lake may carve a river to the plateu edge and then drop over the ege to create a river down below. This river would snake across the landscape until it branches out enough to diminish out into various tributaries or another lake or...

The idea here is to be able to place points/paths on a lanscape and then have those points/paths generate a waterway. By following the terrain it could vary the depth and width of the waterway depending on the properties assigned by the designer or via algorithms.


The same goes for the river system (we don’t know yet if it will make it in the version 2 or 3 though). We already have algorithms for computing the water flows (we used them for erosions) so it can be also an automatic process (example: select a high point of start and watch as the editor computes the river flows down the mountain).

Quote:

I am not sure that was detailed correctly. I do have some references if you need them should you find this interesting or viable.


We already have intensive research in this area but any references would be helpful Smile

Thanks,
Licu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
makit3d
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 123

Your research already exceeds mine since it mostly cursory in it's nature. I'll just sit back and wait for the gold to rain down on me from Grome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Based on a template by Dustin Baccetti
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group