www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Texturing guidlines « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dyrwoolf
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Texturing guidlines Reply with quote

Hi,

Im a newbie that just bought Grome Proffesional and have som newbie questions regarding texturing.
I have been watching the tutorials and try to go along with them. In one of the tutorials, GromnAtlas tutorial movie 2, he sets the tiling of the texture to 4x4 and later on sets the camera to 2 m over the ground. When I do this the texture gets very poor quality for that camera settings, It looks mutch better if I for example sets it to 200x200 tiling. Or is there a reason why I should not do this?
What I really would like to know is if there is som kind of guidlines when making different maps for different types of game. Like if I make a flightsim vs a first person vs a third person type of game, what shold i think of..

Im not sure if this is the right place for this kinda question, but I couldnt find a newbie or "tricks and tips" section.

/Sins

Dyrwoolf
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes you can place all the editing related questions here.

You can put tiling to any value you like (there is a hardware limit for that but I think it is very big). The problem with high values of tiles is that the repeatness of textures are visible from above (you see the same texture repeating forming a pattern). On the other hand the problem with smaller values of tiling is that the textures are not high resolution enough when seen from near distance.

A good tiling value really depends on the game type. As you probably guessed for flight sim you will use a smaller tiling value since you are not near the ground. While for FPS style game use a greater value as the player is on the ground.

A good solution that can be used for both cases is to use one color texture with a small tiling value and on top of that use a detail (greyscale which multiplies with the layers bellow) texture with a bigger tiling value. You can see this approach in the fligh sim tutorial on the site:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=Editor/tutorial_flight_sim

Look at the last part of the tutorial.

Regards,
Adrian L.
dyrwoolf
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast reply!

I must say I am very impresssed with Your support regarding the fast and very well explaind answers In these forums.

Thx

Dyrwoolf

Jump to: