www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Zone/HF Assignment « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
makit3d
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Zone/HF Assignment Reply with quote

Being able to assign a HF to a Zone or multiple zones is beautiful. This zone feature is, by far, the greatest feature I could have asked for.

When assigning a Heightmap to a Zone I seemed to be assigning a HF to more than one zone without realizing it. It took several minutes and jumping between zones to fix the issue.

A feature that would be nice is some way to assign Heightfields to Zones via a menu (similar to the Select... menu). Having a dropdown or expandable menu for HF maps and one for zones.

A vision I have in my head is similar to an FTP app. HF maps on one panel and Zones in the other. A person would able to drag a Zone to a HF map for assignment and see it displayed like it already is in the Workspace Panels 'Selection' tab.

Regardless, the Zone/HF assignment feature is my favorite.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Being able to assign a HF to a Zone or multiple zones is beautiful. This zone feature is, by far, the greatest feature I could have asked for.

Yes. This feature basically tells the editor you want the heightmap to be allocated for that specific layer for the selected zones. Having multiple HF layers allows you to separate the terrain features (example: have the hills on one layer, the river on another and a noise on a third one). This, besides making your work more organized, has other creation benefits (example: procedurally create a selection layer based on one layer and use it to adjust another).

Quote:
When assigning a Heightmap to a Zone I seemed to be assigning a HF to more than one zone without realizing it. It took several minutes and jumping between zones to fix the issue.

You assign the layer to the selected zones (which can be multiple). Basically you allocate the layer data for the selected zones which don’t have it allocated already (the ones with the layer already assigned are unchanged). The resolution is the same for all the HF layers for a zone (and is the resolution specified at the creation of the zone). In the future we may support multiple heightmap resolutions for the same zone.

This stall was probably caused by the fact that for each heightmap layer the editor must allocate the data so it probably took some time for the operating system to make room for the new memory (this can happen if you work on a big map that cannot fit entirely in the system RAM and the swap must be used). Also, the video card memory must be updated to include the new geometry.

Quote:
A feature that would be nice is some way to assign Heightfields to Zones via a menu (similar to the Select... menu). Having a dropdown or expandable menu for HF maps and one for zones.

A vision I have in my head is similar to an FTP app. HF maps on one panel and Zones in the other. A person would able to drag a Zone to a HF map for assignment and see it displayed like it already is in the Workspace Panels 'Selection' tab.

We are currently investigating more UI layouts to make the zones / data relation more evident and manageable by the user. This can be one of the solutions. In this aspect, we are really opened to suggestions from users that intensely work with the editor in their projects.

Quote:
Regardless, the Zone/HF assignment feature is my favorite.

The same zone / layer assignment is present for all types of layers: HF, selection and textures. So you can have, for example, 1 HF layer to a zone and 3 to another. You can also have different textures for the same layer for 2 distinct zones (example: have a layer called Snow but have different snow textures (and mapping, shading etc) for each zone).
This layer system may seem strange at first but after a while you can really understand why this way of working is better for multiple zones manipulation.

Hope these hints help you,
Licu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have discovered you are absolutely correct about Layers, Zones, etc.

My only question is why wasn't this done sooner? Smile

But, if I may, it would be nice to have a way to 'undock' the major tabs from the workspace panel. It helps to be able to see the various Project and Selection layers as well as the associated Zones at a glance rather than switching from Panel then tab, back to panel and another tab.. etc.

I realize it would appear too demanding, but having my pallets spaced out where I can just look and see what I need rather than point, click, point click, find, etc.
makit3d
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the 'Guest' was me. Once again I failed to login before posting.
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During our UI development we had a feature to allow undocking of any tab in a separate window. In the final build we’ve decided to leave this option out but we may reconsider it in the following versions as switching the tabs is indeed a very common operation.

Jump to: