www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

dae->grome « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
greedo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: dae->grome Reply with quote

Hello!
I've found that SketchUp comes with dae export out of the box, which presents me with an easy way of making placeholder models very quickly for grome. However, i've blundered into two problems.

1. Grome loads every object as a separate entity, regardless of me putting them in a group, or making them a component. Because of this, i'm unable to place scenes, like a table with chairs around it.

2. Textures don't work. It looks liek this:

The texture is there in a jpg. I've tried it using colors instead of textures, but that doesn't work either.

Do you have any idea how to solve these?
greedo
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have solved the texture problem (more or less) but the other still stands.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can you please send me a sample .dae file exported from SketchUp (licu at quadsoftware.com). When I've exported groups of objects from 3ds max and XSI they've always appear as one single object in Grome. It may be that SketchUp saves the collada files in a different form.

Also what was the problem with the textures? I've saw that many exporters use complete absolute paths for images so you need to either keep the images in the initial location or manually edit the paths in .dae to point to the Grome libraries locations.
greedo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the sketchup exporter exports the textures as texture00.jpg, texture01.jpg and so on. It assumes that you will load each modell separately.

However, Grome can only load one texture with the same name, and uses that one for every model that asks for texture01.jpg. This resulted in every model using the texturesof the first model I've placed.

This can be solved in two ways:

1. You put every model in the same scene, so the exporter gives a different number for every texture. This has the drawback that placing objects will be difficult in Grome, since the "center point" of the model will be far from the model itself.

2. After exporting, you manually edit the filenames of the textures, then replace the old ones with the new manually in the dae, with a text editor. This has the drawback that its boring as hell.

I've also sent you a mail with the model.
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About multiple meshes appearing from one dae file...

The problem with the way the SketchUp exported the dae file is that it creates multiple meshes inside the COLLADA and then instantiate one group with multiple instances in it. So you have multiple meshes in the file and each of them with one instance transformation to get it in the proper position relative to the others.

In Grome, DAE files are read as mesh files (resource files), instances are not read from them. Instances are created by user from the dae meshes (with Spawn or ObjectBrush tool). So this exporting approach would not work. You should find a way to collapse the meshes into one single mesh before exporting. A solution for this is pretty much application specific so you need to find a way specific to the way SketchUp exporter works. In Grome I just read the dae files and show the meshes from them. You should have the groups exporter into one single mesh with multiple materials.

To give you an example in 3DS Max, when you have a mesh made by multiple subparts (submaterials) and you export it you get one single mesh with multiple “triangle” sections in COLLADA for each submaterial. This kind of dae files is correctly shown in Grome as single meshes.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: