www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Error when starting in Vista « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Sparticus
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Error when starting in Vista Reply with quote

When I start Grome, the splash screen comes up and there is a tone and it seems like an error box pops up behind the splash screen. I say this because when i pull up task manager my options are to "end task" on a grome error, although i can't see the error...just the splash screen. Because the application has not started there is nothing dumped into the error logs.

1. Running Vista
2. Running 64bit
3. Running in admin mode (the account I'm using definitely has admin rights).

The interesting thing is that if I right click the grome icon and choose to "run as admin", the program will open fine. Peculiar, because the account I'm using is an admin account. Of course, I'm assuming being an admin shouldn't be a pre-requisite for running your application...so that is a different issue.

At this point its more or an annoyance because I can right click and run as admin, but thought you should be aware of it. Let me know if you would like additional information to troubleshoot....as more and more people are moving to Vista.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Did you use the same account when activating Grome?

Also can you please check if User Account Control is off or on for your user? You can go to Control Panel, User Accounts and you have Turn User Account Control on or off there. Click on that and see if the box is checked or not. If you have this on, please put it on off and try to run Grome again.

Also can you press space when the error box appears? I suspect that it is the User Account Control message warning you that you are running a program. By pressing space you may bypass the box.

I’m also running Vista 64 bit with or without administrator rights but with User Account Control turned off. This Vista feature is very annoying as it is showing all sorts of messages even for administrators.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

In the future it is a good idea to have the splash screen optional (with a command line option) so people can see the error messages. I will add this to the to-do list. Should shortly be present in a next patch.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Sparticus
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i used the same account as when activating.

I followed your instructions for the user account control and that fixed the issue Very Happy

Thanks much !

Jump to: