www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Exporting issues « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
TenTierHook
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Exporting issues Reply with quote

I am having some issues exporting.
To help me become better at exporting answers to some questions would help.

It should be noted that I am using Grome Standard.

Does the tiles size and amount of zones effect exporting at all?

Using standard Grome what is the max tile size and zone amount you can have exporting to Torque?

What are the recommended export settings for that tile size/zone amount?
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

First, for Standard, there are some Grome restrictions:
- max zones: 4
- max zone resolution: 512 by 512 tiles
- max mask size per zone: 512 by 512 pixels
- max texture layers: 5 (this is not a problem since this is the ATLAS limit too).

So in the end you can have 2 by 2 zones of 512 tiles each and, for example, if you use 2 meters per tile you have 2 by 2 km.

There is no limit to tile or zone size (in world space). There is no limit of the tiled texture size and its tiling, so even if the mask resolution is restricted the underlaying texture can have any resolution.

Now the export is not affected in any way by these Standard restrictions. The zones can be sampled (both heightmap, masks and lightmap) at any resolution but it is recommended to have the same sampling steps as the resolution in Grome: use tile size for heightmap and pixel size for lightmap/masks.

To give you an example: you have 2 by 2 zones of 512 by 512 tiles each, 2 meters per tile, 512 by 512 masks and a lightmap of 512 by 512 per each zone. At export you select a resolution of 2 for heightmap (= 2 meters per tile) and also 2 for masks and lightmap (since they are 512 and that means 1 pixel at 2 meters). In the end you obtain a heightmap of 1025 by 1025 vertices and an opacity mask and a lightmap of 1024 by 1024 pixels.

Consult the exporter help for details.

Also, if you have a specific map to export, let me know its specs and I can help you choose the best parameters.

Regards,
Adrian L.
TenTierHook
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible for you to make a preset matching all the necessary parameters? ..so I can install that leaving the possibility of human error on my part out of the equation. Im a part time game dev with a seperate 9-5. So like most I have very little time to learn the quirks of new apps. I wouldnt ask but I believe it would only take you a few secs to create, whereas it would take me considerably longer to get to grips with.

ps. Excuse my forward behaviour
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there is nothing you should be excused for, your questions are pretty normal Smile

Please let me know what exporting parameters you are having problem setting values for. Torque restrictions to terrain are pretty straightforward:

- 4 layers of masked texture
- 1 layer of lightmap
- power of two heightmaps and textures

If you follow this for your scenes you should be fine. The only thing to set are the resolutions for heightmap and textures and for these the rule is pretty simple, use the same size as in Grome (use tile size for heightmap resolution and pixel size for opacity masks).

The exporting values greatly depends on your application. For example, for a character walking normal terrain, I recommend few meters per tile in Grome (example 2 meters per tile) and to use 2 by 2 zones of 512 tiles (for a total 2 by 2 km). Then at export choose 2 as heightmap resolution.
For tree depth you can choose 4 while the error you can set at 1. Mask resolution choose 512 per zone and at export also use 2 for resolution. The same for lightmap.

The video tutorial it is pretty clear explaining all the necessary steps for exporting. Some of them need tweaking the atlas script and shaders. Unfortunately these steps cannot be simplified due to torque engine structure.

If you are stuck into one place of the scene editing or exporting let us know. I will try to help you as much as I can and I'm pretty sure other Torque owners will also help.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: