www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Shifting between Baked Shadows « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
gerarduk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Shifting between Baked Shadows Reply with quote

If I wanted to create multiple lightmaps with baked shadows for each dts and a different lightmap for different times of the day, what would be the feasibility of integrating this with a day/night resource and creating a method for creating preprocessing for all these shadows?

For instance would the sizes be prohibitive? Would the savings in terms of CPU/GPU cycles be worthwhile? Any other considerations that would have to be accounted for?
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, in Grome you can have as many lightmaps computed as you want. You can keep them separated on layers and disable, enable their layers at will.

This problem is more a question if ATLAS can support this or not. From the Grome point of view I can tell you that you can export as many lightmaps as you want (use multiple exports, and at each export select one lightmap layer you want to export and the other ones will be ignored).

To be noted that, in Grome, you can also have as many texture layers as you want (in Professional edition), and export opacity masks only for the ones marked by the user as enabled inside Grome UI.

Also, for a day/light cycle, you will probably need 4 lightmaps: night, sunrise, full day and sunset. And you will also need a way to make the transitions between them. Also, the lightmap produced by Grome are greyscales. For sunrise and sunset you will probably need to apply some red tinting to the final exported images.

I don't really know how this can be created in Torque (a Torque expert programmer maybe can help here) but the data can be produced by Grome.

Regards,
Adrian L.
jcsmith
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Atlas there is a loadalternatelightmap function that will allow you to load in a new lightmap. I haven't tested that with Grome exported lightmaps, but prior to using Grome I had used it with stock atlas generated lightmaps and disabled generation, so that I wouldn't have to generate after making changes, and users would never have to generate. The function worked fine for that. I'd imagine it would probably also work fine for loading different lightmaps at different times of day. I'm not sure if it would make a hitch or something when switching though, and you'd probably want to interpolate values between a few so that the switch wasn't drastic. But that should get you going.

Jump to: