www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Detached Pallette Resizing « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
makit3d
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Detached Pallette Resizing Reply with quote

A trivial thing, as suggested by the title. Being able to resize detached pallettes make viewing information that extends beyond the edges makes working on projects easier. Not having to scroll horizontally to view a description, file location, etc are the kind of small details that really make work easier for me.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a good point. The in the future versions we want to make possible the tools UI to expand by continuing on a second column rather than always extending the window down with scroll. We are also investigating an anchor system that will allow us to make the tools UI to expand both vertically and horizontally. This would allow you to put the tools UI on the top/bottom of the page, too (and look something like the new office ribbons).
makit3d
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Pallette Snaps Reply with quote

That would be great!

A great feature used by Adobe is the 'snapping' of pallettes on the screen as well as remembering that placement when restarted. Along with resizing and the method you speak of it makes organization of tools/pallettes easy.

Eventually the location of tools becomes instinctive and the workflow becomes smooth and effortless.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location and size of the tools window is now stored in the program configuration at exit so at the next restart the previous UI layout is restored. If desired you can reset the UI layout with Reset UI special startup command. This is for cases when, for example, you worked on multiple monitors or on a larger resolution and now, at restart, some UI elements are no longer visible.

Yes, snapping is another useful feature. We will look into it, too.

In the future we will have support for multiple configurations (it is actually built-in but not yet exposed) so you can have a UI/settings/presets configuration for one project and use other for another one.

Regards,
Licu
makit3d
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do believe the Quad Software team loves me.

Very Happy
makit3d
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be possible to create a custom pallette and drop the tools we use most in it? For example somebody wanted to create a pallette with specific procedural brushes and masking tools.

The option to expand a pallette to double-column width is a great idea. I think this was covered, but will the undocking of pallettes such as the Project and Selection tabs in the Workspace pallette be individually undockable?

Modo and programs like Silo3d have the ability to create buttons/pallettes, etc. and even cutom macros/scripts. Will this be part of the functionality?

For me I spend a great deal of time modifying my workspace and tool positions until I get the right feel. This often takes several sessions before I am comfortable with the program. If I am not able to get the tools or environment to work for me I will customize what I can to get my space to where I can be efficient and proficient.

BTW, thank you for commenting on all my posts.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will it be possible to create a custom pallette and drop the tools we use most in it? For example somebody wanted to create a pallette with specific procedural brushes and masking tools.

Modo and programs like Silo3d have the ability to create buttons/pallettes, etc. and even cutom macros/scripts. Will this be part of the functionality?

For me I spend a great deal of time modifying my workspace and tool positions until I get the right feel. This often takes several sessions before I am comfortable with the program. If I am not able to get the tools or environment to work for me I will customize what I can to get my space to where I can be efficient and proficient.

Yes, this is another good idea of improving the UI usability. In the future, users will have the possibility to construct their own tools and thus the possibility to customize the tools UI. Don't know exactly in what version, but it is an important aspect of our to-do list.

Quote:
he option to expand a pallette to double-column width is a great idea. I think this was covered, but will the undocking of pallettes such as the Project and Selection tabs in the Workspace pallette be individually undockable?

Yes I know that switching from Selection to Project tab is a common operation. We are looking for a way to make this work easier for users. The more evident way of doing this is, indeed, to allow them to be separable (undock them from tabs).

Jump to: