www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Importing a Height Map « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Starstone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Importing a Height Map Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm new to Grome, and really not terribly experienced with terrain engines. I'm trying to transition from another toolset over to Grome. To get started, I have an existing 16-bit heightmap (as a .tiff). I can see that Grome can export height maps, but is there a way to import a height map to get started? My plan is to paint the textures myself (with Grome), but I need to use the existing height map. This is for a project already underway, the terrain looks terrible and Grome looks like the ticket I've been looking for.

Richard
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Grome can import 16 bit RAW files. Convert the tiff to raw (you can use a program like Photoshop). Make sure you use 16 bit , 1 channel, IBM order. I'm also pretty sure there are other (free) programs that can do the conversion (maybe GIMP).

Then use the RAW importer from Grome (from application menu choose File->Import). Depending on your heightmap size you probably will need to indicate that you want multiple zones to be created (256 by 256 and 512 by 512 tiles is the optimum resolutions for Grome terrain zones). Also you need to know the height range of your heightmap and choose the proper importing range from the importer UI.

Press Help button in the importer UI for more information. If you have any problems choosing the right parameters let me know (and also send me more information about your terrain size and range).

Regards,
Adrian L.
Starstone
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Importing a height Map Reply with quote

Adrian,

Thanks for the pointer! My height map is pretty large (6573x5055), and the standard edition kept crashing. I reduced it to 512x512 and it worked. Too small unfortunately, but it allows me to see what I can do. I suppose I need to upgrade to the professional version for such a large map.

I am wondering though... for the cost of upgrading, are there any free-lancer's on this list who would like to pick up a small quick island modeling job using Grome? I need the final output to be loadeable by OSG. I already have a height map, just need to pretty it up for a fly over Wink
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For standard you can use up to 1024 by 1024 (2 by 2 zones of 512 tiles each). You can choose 2 by 2 zones in the RAW importer UI for that.

In Professional you would be able to load such a large map by using the swap system (raw importer can make multiple zones and swap them out of memory as it creates them).

Jump to: