www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Object Integration with Grome and TGEA « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jaminshoulet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Object Integration with Grome and TGEA Reply with quote

I have been viewing the video tutorials regarding the terrain creation and transferring it over to TGEA.

However, I am curious if it is possible to create your entire scene (say one zone) such as terrain generation, placement of trees/bushes/buildings and specific lighting and light sources in Grome, and transfer all of it into TGEA?

Or would I have to place trees/buildings etc etc in the TGEA editor?

thanks in advance
--Jamin shoulet
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to our boards.

This is was our first step for Torque support. We plan to add DTS reading support, placement and export in the next version of this support.

Grome has a pluginable system for 3rd party formats so we can create a format plugin for DTS so these native Torque geometrical formats can be discovered on disk, browsed, visualize and placed in scene as any native Grome formats. In this way you can use you own game folder structure, without the need for a conversion of assets to an intermediate Grome compatible format (like COLLADA).

Then all the object creation tools (spawner, object brush) can use DTS objects directly and place them in Grome map. Don't know exactly (yet) how many features for DTS format we will be supporting but at least basic static geometrical objects will be.

Once placed on the map the object are manipulated as any other Grome object (transformed, linked to terrain surface, make them react at terrain modifications). Starting with version 1.1, Grome also has custom object properties capabilities (you can select any scene object and assign custom, defined by user properties to it). We can use these feature to defined properties specific to Torque missions.

In the end, the exporter will be able to save the Torque mission files and other object related information along side the ATLAS terrain.

I cannot give you an exact date for this additions, but we will work to make it available in a month time frame.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.

Software Engineer - Grome Modeler
Quad Software
gerarduk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Would be great Reply with quote

It would be great if you could get support for placing DTS objects into Grome and export that into a mission file, instead of having to jump back and forth, create the terrain in one program, and then go back and place the objects in the Torque engine. This would definitely make me purchase the Professional version if you had this capability.
PuG
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When first recording the video tutorials we also coded a small standalone application to convert/transfer the Gromes Instance output into Torque mission format.

The little program works fine for the most part, but we never figured out how to convert Eular to Torques rotation (so currently atleast gives the objects position).

All you had todo was load in a Collada equivalent file of your DTS object, position, rotate and bake .
holger53
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALicu wrote:

I cannot give you an exact date for this additions, but we will work to make it available in a month time frame.

Having bought the prof version some days ago I plan to start to work with
Grome within the next days.

So any news on that new feature?
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, we will try to make it available by the end of the month. Thank you for your patience.
holger53
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic - thank you!
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to announce you that we are the final tests of the new version of the exporter (which will contain mission file exporting, including object placements). The update will be made most probably on Monday.
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, new exporter version is out:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263

including mission export with objects information.
gerarduk
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Thanks a lot! Reply with quote

This is just what I was waiting for, cannot wait to get a chance to work with the new exporter!

Has anyone had a chance to do so, and is there any documentation of what the features are?

i.e. is there a snap to ground feature, etc.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, snap to ground is already implemented in Grome object editing (it is not a feature that needs to be implemented by the exporter). You can have the objects react to terrain modification (to move up and down so they stick to ground while modifying the terrain) and also you can have them stick to the ground while moved. See last tutorial (Object Transformations) from here:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=editor_tutorials2

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: