www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

3D Engine « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mikey1968
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: 3D Engine Reply with quote

Hi all

Been using Grome for almost a month, and really enjoying it.

I would now like to export from Grome into a 3D engine using the Collada export option.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend a engine? One that has less emphasis on programming would be great. Although my C++ is probably at intermediate level.

Was basically wondering if you had some ideas, as there is a vast amount of engines out there.

Thanks

MC

PS I Use aa PC not a Mac
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

There are several factors that influence this decision. The most important ones, I can think of right now, are: the type of game (graphical application) you want to implement and, secondly, the budget you want to use for the engine license.

In the next period we will have various integrations out of the box of Grome with 3rd party engines. First to come will be Torque and Ogre. Torque is a great engine and its price is pretty low (very affordable for indie developers). Ogre is free and has a great community. Both may require you to do some C++ programming. Also, Torque has a C++ script and you can do all your game logic (gameplay) in the script without requiring any native C++ line of code (so this may be very good for a non-programmer).

For the above engines COLLADA export will not be necessary since plugins will be available directly from Grome.

Other engines (that are also a good choices and can import COLLADA from what I know) are Unity engine and 3DGameStudio. Unity I think it can be used without programming at all (has some scripting and some node graph setup I think).

Using COLLADA is great for terrain heightmap and objects, but layers may be a little trickier to get. The default COLLADA plugin that comes with Grome will not export the terrain texture layers since (even though COLLADA format in theory at least can contain some layers configurations) there are no applications out there that will load COLLADA data as terrain, they will load the data as normal geometrical meshes without layers.

So may opinion is to wait (around 1 month or so) for the Grome integrations to come out and use one of the above 2 engines. Import of Grome terrain in both Torque and Ogre can be done right now but the process is more elaborate (export raw files, apply various scripts etc). The new plugins will do this automatically.

Of course there may be other options out there I cannot think right now. Other users with Grome - engine experience are welcomed to comment on other variants.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Quad Software
mikey1968
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I see you announced the exporter for Torque, any ideas when the update will be?

Regards

M. Wink
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very soon (today or Monday at most).

Thank you for your patience

Adrian L.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=editor_torque

Thank you for patience

Jump to: