www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Standard Edition Limitations... « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PuG
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Standard Edition Limitations... Reply with quote

Hi, been trying to use Grome on and off now for a good number of months, but always frustrated by some of the imposed limits on the standard edition.

Of course I can understand you want to sell the Professional, but I still think the current revision has too many limitations.

* 4 Zones are fine, 8 would nice!
* Tile limit of 1024 is fine.
* The lack of heightmap layers seems a real shame, even allowing a second one would give an idea of what your missing out on.
* The current main toolset is adequate (no need to extend) for the standard.
* Mask Size, 512 x 512 - far too small. Should allow upto 1024 x 1024 to match the tile limit....

The only one I would really like to see increased is the Mask Size, its just too low resolution as it currently stands and for me pretty well cripples Gromes mask/texturing tools.

More video tutorials with voice! or employee a community member to make a full selection.

If I get time I would do a few myself and try and promote the Torque Atlas pipeline.

Best Regards,
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, some of the limitations may create frustration when you try to build large maps (I believe that Atlas terrain engine is made especially for large terrains so I assume you want to build relatively big maps). The professional edition was build especially for big worlds. Initially we've wanted to offer only one edition (Professional edition) but we've thought that there are indie developers out there who don't want to pay for the all thing just to make their maps (which usually are small ones). We will consider the mask limitation to be extended but I cannot promise you anything for now.

About community support (with tutorials and articles). We would very much want to promote this, especially if it is related to a well known engine (like Torque is). If you have a running integration with Torque and created some nice maps let us know, we can arrange for an mutual beneficial collaboration if you want to share your experience regarding this integration. Please email me (licu at quadsoftware.com) if you want to collaborate with us in this area. For some companies or individuals we've offered extensive support (including free licenses) for integration with 3rd party engines.

Regards,
Adrian L.
PuG
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, if something could be done with the mask limitation that would be excellent.

Regards,

Jump to: