www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Larger Memory Limitations (64-Bit) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
CalebLJ
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Larger Memory Limitations (64-Bit) Reply with quote

Having worked with Grome for a few weeks now using large datasets. It would be nice to be able to have more memory available to Grome. I've thusfar found it impossible to import into connected zones any larger than 1024x1024 which for maps of 8192x8192 resolution makes for very tedious editing.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

We have planned a 64bit version of Grome but I cannot give you an exact date yet.

Regarding your problem, what importer are you using? You can importer large databases by braking the map in multiple zones. The raw importer for example is capable of breaking your data in any number of zones and also it is capable to swap these zones as they are imported. So you can import a map as big as you want by swapping out the data as you import it.

You can then unswap data back as you need to work on it. Of course you need to keep only a part of the map in memory but this part can be relatively big. We've worked with 15x15 zones of 256 tiles each for example. You can work a part, after that swap it, keep only a border in memory, unswap another part, work on that etc. The tools makes it easy to create smooth transitions.

For future versions we are considering 64 bit versions of the program and also optimizations at memory allocations. Let me know if you manage to work with the current restrictions. I will try to provide you with specific hints for you current needs.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.
CalebLJ
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working from a 8192x8192 16-Bit terrain that has been output from World Machine. I need to be able to load this into Grome. Edit and work with it. Texture, and finally export it as a single 8192x8192 16-Bit image along with a corresponding diffuse texture of the same specs.

Currently, I am importing using 16-Bit Raw, and aside from the banding issues I'm having, I simply cannot import it into zones any larger than 1024x1024 which results in a large 8x8 grid (and I am importing these swapped out). Ideally I could work with a single 8192x8192 terrain or at least 4x4 2048x2048 ones. I would appreciate any suggestions.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to do some tests when I get back to the office on Monday. I will use a map similar with your map. Can you tell me what video card do you have and the amount of RAM?

Also can you post some screenshots of the banding issues. Also what are the exact options you are using for import?

Thank you.
CalebLJ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a 8800 GTX with 8 GB of dual-channel memory.
CalebLJ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been able to successfully import without banding. It had to do to WM putting out a "16-Bit" output that only contained 8-Bits worth of data. Go figure. I am currently having some issue with the render distance, where even if the LOD is crunching away at under 50% the viewport stops rendering the terrain at a certain distance with some ugly artifacts.
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a screenshot? You need to uploaded somewhere on another location and link to there, or just send it to us by email (use licu at quadsoftware.com).

It may be related to far clipping plane or z fighting. Also, please indicate your units (how much is a tile, a zone or entire map in world coordinates).

Jump to: