www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

collada in max « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
greedo
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: collada in max Reply with quote

I know this is not the colladamax support forum, but I figured maybe you would know what's the problem. It does something similar with maya as well.

I create something in grome, and export it to dae (all boxes checked in the exporter). It looks like this: http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o224/greedohun/smileingrome.jpg

We import it in 3ds max 9 using the most recent colladaMAX plugin, and this is what we get:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o224/greedohun/max2.jpg

Geometry goes trough okay, as well as the objects, but as you can see, textures don't, neither on the terrain, nor on the models. Do you have any idea what might cause this?[/img]
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, the current COLLADA exporter doesn't represent the terrain texture layers in the COLLADA file. That's because due to the inability of COLLADA readers to extract these information from the file. To find out more about the reasons please refer to this topic (there is a comment of mine there referring to the COLLADA scene texturing in MAX):

http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162

So, yes terrain textures can be represented in Max (in a restricted way) but you have to manually setup the max material. Collada exported scene will be used as startup scene (with terrain geometry and unit texture mapping).

The object textures should be ok thought (I will check this).

Regards,
Licu
greedo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer, though that's not very good news, especially if we use layered textures and all that :/

I've read it somewhere that you are working on making grome torque compatible. Are you maybe working on the ogre3d engine as well? The only reason we need max is that we couldn't find a .dae -> .mesh converter, so we have to import it with colladamax, and export it from 3ds max to ogre mesh, using another plugin.

Are you working to make this easier or do you have any idea for a solution?

We'll try attaching the textures manually of course, but I doubt that detail masks and that kind of stuff will work this way.

Concerning the objects: I think that it puts the both normal and the lod model at the same place, but since we don't use that kind of lod yet, we can live with it.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The approach for you is to write a simple export plug-in directly for Ogre (it should be pretty easy for a programmer). We do plan to support as many engines as possible but all depends on our current resource allocations, so I cannot guarantee any timeline.

Is .mesh format able to represent terrain (with multiple layers)? It sounds like a normal mesh format.

And yes, detail shading will not work in max with composite material. You also need to check if indeed the .mesh format is exported correctly from a composite material.

Again the best solution IMO is to write a plugin directly to Ogre. The Grome SDK gives you the ability to access all the layers data and if the destination format supports multi layering it should be pretty straightforward.

Regards,
Adrian L.
greedo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our programmer is not really familiar with the .mesh format, nor with the grome SDK, and he is occupied with optimizing the engine.

Attaching them manually is not really an option for us, since we use many small terrain zones. We would also like to use multiple texture layers.

So i guess our only choice is to write a direct exporter as you've said.

Is this something you would do under a contract?

Or is the OSG format max-friendlier in this?

Thank you for taking your time Smile

Last edited by greedo on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we can do a Ogre export under contract. For this contact us at contact @ quadsoftware.com and send us more details about your project requirements (the map size, the number of polys, of layers, how do you plan to use the Ogre engine etc) so we take the best export solution for you. Or just provide us with email contacts of the persons from your company that can provide these technical details and we will ask all the necessary questions.

I'm not familiar with Ogre support for terrain and the .mesh format but we will have one of the programmers study the problem. We will provide you with a quote once we know the details (from your part and after studying Ogre).

Regards,
Adrian L.
greedo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent you a mail.

Jump to: