FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Color Generator « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Color Generator Reply with quote

Another newbie question. This time for my pro license at home.

I'm experimenting with Color Generator in 01.10.02 on a 3Ghz P4 with a GeForce 7800 Card and 2 Gig of RAM.

I have 1 zone (1024 tile size 50u) with 1 fractal heightmap layer, 1 selection layer, and 1 color Layer. I have noticed that I can't see any color layers in the "Layers in use:" tab of the Color Generator tool if those layers are just selected textures from the library. I CAN, however, see the layers listed in the "Layers in use:" tab if I created the layer use the "New" option with the New Material Layer Window.

Once I have created a new Color Texture (Gray, 512 by 512), I see the layer listed in Color Generator. I can now create Parameters and apply them. The trouble is, no matter what parameters I choose, or what color layers I select, I see no Color Generation at all.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

thanks in advance.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two type of layers in Grome (for now):

- layers with one diffuse texture and mask

- layers only with a color texture

For now Grome is limited to edit only one of the textures from a layer. For first type of layers, you edit the layer mask (you choose a texture from the library and use it as a tiled texture that is visible only thru the mask as generated by the program). The second type is used for base color or for other color correction operations (like color add, color multiply etc). The first type of layer is the most common.

Now, ColorGen was meant to be used to generate the texture for the second type, while MaskGen for the second (to affect the mask).

If you don't get any result from the tool can be caused by two errors:

- incorrect parameters (you select a slop out of range, an altitude too big etc).

- you didn't assign the distribution masks to the layers in use (press the + button to assign the selected distribution mask to the selected layer in use, see the help for details). Distributions masks are a very customizable way to apply the tool with different parameters for different layers, all at once.

Hope this clarify your issues. Let me know if you manage to make it work.

Adrian L.

Jump to: