www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

DAE export looks strange « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sadafi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: DAE export looks strange Reply with quote

Hi

When I export to the DAE format, the model looks strange. There are no textures, and the model is oriented wrong (it lies on the side). I check all boxes in the export window, and I use Deep Exploration 5 to view it. I also tried CollView, but it couldn't open the file at all. I am using the Grome map "Mountain" to test with. Any ideas?

Regards,
Thomas
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The DAE export doesn't contain the terrain texture layers (it contains only the used textures references but not the actual render state) because no existent modeling program (Max, Maya, XSI etc) can read it from COLLADA. COLLADA export is mainly for geometry export into general modeling programs. These programs are not capable of representing the terrain texture layers as they are seen in Grome (like for example OpenSceneGraph engine is).

As for the different orientation. COLLADA is always right handed and by default is with OY axis as up direction. Many programs reading COLLADA files simply don't follow this rule and assume that COLLADA files are orientated as their own coordinate system (left handed, with other axis up etc.). That's why we've created a new version of the plugin that let you choose the coordinate system for the files. This new plugin will be found in the next Grome patch, for now it can be downloaded from:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/storage/ExpCollada.rar

Download it and unarchive into Grome Plugins folder. Make sure you have the latest Grome version.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: