www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Lights « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
greedo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Lights Reply with quote

Is there a way to place lights in grome?
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can create environment lights by choosing Add Environment Light from the Scene tree in the Workspace panel, but these are only for editing purposes (to see the scene better when working). You can have these lights attached to the camera so you perceive the scene depth as you look around (by default there is one directional light created for every new scene).

There is no support for multiple scene lights with custom gizmos and placement. The problem with lighting is that is too specific to the game/engine and an universal solution cannot be provided. But you can place various gizmos (simple geometrical objects) around the scene as light sources and at export time, using your custom export plugin, transform these to lights in your engine format. Many engine editors do that anyway. For example, Unread editor, is using various gizmos instead of lights. You don't see the actual lighting as in game, but you are able to place the sources where and how you want.

In the future versions you will be also able to place custom properties to any object instance so, for example, you can set and modify common light properties (like range, diffuse color, specular color etc.) for these objects.

Also, for the future version, we are planning support for pixel shaders for terrain layers and objects so more complex lighting system will be implemented.
greedo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can i set properties like this to an object? It would be great, because that way we wouldn't need an additional level editor. We could simply flag static objects as npcs for example, and the engine could replace them with the appropriate actor.
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know this is a very important feature (to add custom data to an instance/template). It was actually planned for the first versions but we needed to shift our resource to other tools. Don't know yet if it will be added as an patch to the current version but certainly will be present in the second Grome version. All depends on our resources, we are currently working on version 2, don't know if much additions are to be made to the current version but if someone request this customization it may be added.
greedo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALicu wrote:
Yes, I know this is a very important feature (to add custom data to an instance/template). It was actually planned for the first versions but we needed to shift our resource to other tools. Don't know yet if it will be added as an patch to the current version but certainly will be present in the second Grome version. All depends on our resources, we are currently working on version 2, don't know if much additions are to be made to the current version but if someone request this customization it may be added.

Well, it would be quite important for us. So i guess we request it Rolling Eyes

Last edited by greedo on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALicu wrote:
we are currently working on version 2, don't know if much additions are to be made to the current version

Does that mean, if I want the new features, I have to buy Grome again?

You are kidding me, right? Crying or Very sad
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, it would be quite important for us. So i guess we request it

What I mean for customizations was custom builds under contract. As for doing for free, I will see what I can do but all depends on our resources and planning. I cannot promise you anything yet.

Quote:
Does that mean, if I want the new features, I have to buy Grome again?

You would not buy the same Grome again. Version 2 will bring quite important additions. Also, upgrade reduced price will be available. I'm pretty sure you will want to upgrade when you will see its new features Smile
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice if I have new and important features, but releasing a brand new program for extra money after a short time, your initial program was released is not a really good way to make customers happy...

At least let the program update freely a few times. After a year I will be happy to buy a new software, which is mostly up to date at the given time, but to pay for every particular upgrade is not a good solution. Not even if Grome is a lower price product.

Of course it depends on the upgrade price...

Just a tought and an advice from the point of wiev of a customer.

Last edited by Hunnenkoenig on Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
greedo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this giving labels to object thing doesn't seem a huge project to me, maybe we can afford it even under a contract. I will consult with our engine programmer about the details, but who should i contact concerning this after that?
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's nice if I have new and important features, but releasing a brand new program for extra money after a short time, your initial program was released is not a really good way to make customers happy...

At least let the program update freely a few times. After a year I will be happy to buy a new software, which is mostly up to date at the given time, but to pay for every particular upgrade is not a good solution. Not even if Grome is a lower price product.

Just a tought and an advice from the point of wiev of a customer.

I didn't say we will release a new version now with only this feature just to get customer money. I've said that it was planned for the first version but didn't make it due to time constraints. It will be present in the second version though. We are currently working on the new version which is quite different in structure. We cannot launch it now in its state even if it would contain this requested feature. We cannot rush it containing only this feature. The only alternative would be to do this feature on the version 1 structure but this would mean shifting our resources to this previous version again. For the future version we still need to code it almost completely again as its very different (internally speaking) We cannot do that unless the people working on it get paid. We don't plan to make a profit from it so it shouldn't be expensive Wink

Just send a detail description at contact@quadsoftware.com we will get a quote for you.
makit3d
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a possibility of getting a list of new features that will be included?
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I let you surprise me Very Happy
Mihai
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where can i set properties like this to an object?

Grome for know is a Level editor not a mission editor ,of course
it will be nice to have them both in the same program.

We've plan to have this from the beginning in the first version of Grome , but unfortunately the death line was tide

For that reason we will include this features in next version of Grome , but this will take a wile.

So we can provide this feature under a CONTRACT for know .

Quote:
Is there a possibility of getting a list of new features that will be included?

We will reveal all the new features from next version of Grome a mounth before the release .
greedo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mihai wrote:
Quote:
Where can i set properties like this to an object?

Grome for know is a Level editor not a mission editor ,of course
it will be nice to have them both in the same program.

We've plan to have this from the beginning in the first version of Grome , but unfortunately the death line was tide

For that reason we will include this features in next version of Grome , but this will take a wile.

So we can provide this feature under a CONTRACT for know.

Understood.
We, when we've decided buying grome, were thinking that we've just bought a terrain editor, with the ability to place static objects.
After ALicu mentioned gizmos for lighting, i realised that with -appearantly- little work, it could be developed to be an universal world builder program. That would mean that we wouldn't have to write one form the scratch, but could use grome instead.
Mihai
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our first concern With Grome is to be ERGONOMIC with every new feature that we implement.
An ergonomic program considerable reduces the time of game development.

That's why is not a really easy task. For us, it is a complex task to make a mission editor that can relay to every type of a game. This task is not refering to a standard procedure and the editor must be very general in its approach. A better solution is to make custom mission editing features specific to the game that the customer is developing.

Jump to: