www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Some questions « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dyrwoolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Some questions Reply with quote

Hi,
Im planing to buy the professional license, and I have some general modeling question. (I am a newbie at this as You probably understand reading my questions Smile )

I have seen the tutorials and the look great, however the one with the objects (trees) placed in the scene made me wounder:
1 Can I make my own objects and import to the program?
2 When I put object in the scene will the be part of the ground model, I wounder because of collision detection etc.
3 If i have house models with interior, should I import them the same way I import the trees? (Due to the interior collision detetion)
4 Ligtning, I saw how shadows was made in one of the tutorials, but if I would hade the same landscape but with difrent times, like morning, midday, afternoon etc, shuld I make a shadowmap for each time and swap textures at runtime in my game?
5 How to go about modeling a large map whit diferent zones? Consider World of Warcraft, it has 2 big maps, but when u are on one, lets say the Eastern Kingdom, It has no loading time when You travel from one zone to another. How would I accoplish something like that. Do I really build the whole map with all the zones an load into memory. Or do I build several maps, the zones, and load only the one sone Im currently in and the ones that border that one?

I know that many of my questions may be rather programming questions than modeling, but I would really appricate an answer If anyone knows how to do this.

Ps Sorry for my bad English

Sins

Dyrwoolf
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome on our boards.

I will try to answer as detailed as I can:

1 Can I make my own objects and import to the program?

Yes you can. Grome comes with a SDK that allows you to program custom plugins that load your own mesh file formats from disk. The plugins are automatically loaded when Grome starts and custom format meshes (geometrical objects) are seen as any native object (browsed inside package browser, picked, spawn on terrain and manipulated).

Out of the box, Grome already comes with plugins to read meshes from COLLADA which is pretty much a standard format these days (3DS max, Maya, Blender, XSI etc all can save to COLLADA). So you can use this format if you don't want to code your own object format plugin.

2. When I put object in the scene will the be part of the ground model, I wounder because of collision detection etc.

No, the objects are separate from the terrain. This is the most common case for all the engines. Usually you want to treat terrain in a distinct way than you manage your objects. More than that, the objects are instantiated (multiple copies of the same template are used across the map, sharing the same data only different transformation) to save memory.

Then at export, you can build your own save plugin (again using the SDK). With export plugins you have access to all the scene data (terrain geometry and layers, object transformation, their templates vertex data, material assignments, textures etc) so you can save it in your own custom format.

Also, out-of-the-box export plugins exists for OpenSceneGraph, COLLADA, Torque, a simple to parse text format etc. To be noted that entire source code for these plugins is provided with the SDK so you can modify them or use them as a starting point for your own save plugin.

Export plugins also exist. In the demo you have the SDK documentation (Help -> SDK Documentation) so you can find out what can be done with the SDK.

3 If i have house models with interior, should I import them the same way I import the trees? (Due to the interior collision detetion)

You can import them in any mode you want / need. Collision detection has nothing to do with Grome, this is a modeling application, it doesn't deal with collision detection.

4. Ligtning, I saw how shadows was made in one of the tutorials, but if I would hade the same landscape but with difrent times, like morning, midday, afternoon etc, shuld I make a shadowmap for each time and swap textures at runtime in my game?

Possibly, if you engine supports swapping lightmaps, you can certainly do that (you can even have multiple layers of heightmaps in Grome and switch them on/off to visualize and generate them). You can also choose to not have lightmaps in your game and go with dynamic lighting (and shadowmaps for example).

5 How to go about modeling a large map whit diferent zones? Consider World of Warcraft, it has 2 big maps, but when u are on one, lets say the Eastern Kingdom, It has no loading time when You travel from one zone to another. How would I accoplish something like that. Do I really build the whole map with all the zones an load into memory. Or do I build several maps, the zones, and load only the one sone Im currently in and the ones that border that one?

In Grome you have its custom swapping system. This allows you to bring in and out of memory terrain zones. So you can keep in memory only the part of map you are currently editing.

Big worlds cannot go entirely inside the physical computer memory. In games you have background streaming of zones (without user ever noticing it as only the zones around him are automatically loaded) while in Grome, because it is an editing application, you have control over what it is in memory and what it is not. You can see more about this swapping operations in the first movie from this page:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=editor_create

Notice how you can select zones and unload or load them from disk. So in theory you can have a map as big as your hard disk can handle. It is then your responsibility to implement the dynamic streaming of zones in your engine.

So, you can go either way, create one big map or create one for each distinct gameplay zones. Grome allows both approaches.

For any other questions please don't hesitate to post or contact us.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: