www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

How to use a collada file as a brush « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ckinard
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: How to use a collada file as a brush Reply with quote

Hi All,

We just received our copy of Grome Professional and I am starting to learn the in's and out's of the program. I am however having some issues loading a collada (.dae) file in Grome. Here are my steps:

1. Export mesh from Maya as a collada dae file.
2. In Grome I click on ObjectSpawn, then on object preview to launch the Package Browser.
3. I navigate to the location of my file (c:\my_models). No object is displayed in the list/thumbnail view.

What step am I missing?

Thanks,

Corey Kinard
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can you send me the .dae file to have a look at (at licu at quadsoftware.com)? It may be that the file format is invalid. Otherwise you should have the file displayed in the view as a folder and when opened all the objects from it shown (in one collada .dae file you can have multiple objects inside, so a collada file is seen as a folder with multiple items in it).

Regards,
Adrian L.
ckinard
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Adrian,

I have sent you an email containing a simple sphere. Thanks again for the help!

Thanks,

Corey Kinard
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, COLLADA geometry can come in various formats inside .dae files (list of triangles, list of polygons, lines etc). Grome can read triangle only geometry (because this kind of geometry is the one supported by today’s video cards). Looking at your files (the way they are exported from Maya) you can see that they are made of polygon list (you can search “polylist” keyword inside, for triangulated meshes you should find “triangles”). Usually COLLADA exporters (example Max exporter) have options to triangulate exported geometry).
Anyway, one can say that we must supply a plugin that will convert the polygons to triangles but this can be slow. So better would be to just provide tools to preprocess the meshes and transform them to triangles. It turns out that this kind of tool already exists, it is the official COLLADA rafinery tool that can be found here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/colladarefinery

It is simple command line utility that can do all sorts of transformations to collada files. It can be used to transform from polygons to triangles. You should use polygons2triangles conditioner. Basically the following command line should be used:
refinery.bat -i sphere_collada.dae -o output_sphere.dae -x polylists2triangles
So either use an exporting option (provided that such option exists in Maya exporter) or use the above mentioned conditioner to your collada files.

Also, another thing to notice with COLLADA files is the files where the referred images are. I usually prefer to use images in the same folder as the exported .dae file. Otherwise many exporters tend to use absolute paths to images (example: c:\textures\grass.bmp). So in this case you need to keep the images in the initial location (where they were at export time). When using images in the same folders as the exported dae file, the path is relative to the dae file (only the image name is used inside the dae file, example grass.bmp). So you can safely move the images together with the images.

Anyway, the good part about the COLLADA format is that is it is text based so one can open it with a normal editor and review and edit the file.

Let me know if you have any more issues.

Regards,
Adrian L.
ckinard
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! I didn't even think about triangulating the model, that worked like a charm in Maya.

Thanks again,

Corey Kinard

Jump to: