www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Can selection layers be used in the Mask Generator? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
AD_Dennis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Can selection layers be used in the Mask Generator? Reply with quote

Is it possible to use a selection layer as the layer in the mask generator?
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For now you can use the selection layers only for heightmap. In future builds we plan to add selection layers that work with any tool.

But a current solution would be the following:

- Generate with mask generator as usual, without any selection, so on entire surface

- Add a new layer of heightmap. We will use this only to affect the mask generated at the previous step. This is a temporarily layer, it will be deleted after operations.

- This new layer of heightmap when added is perfectly flat. Deactivate the other layers of heightmap, leave only this active, terrain will look flat now.

- Mark the selection layer (you want to use for mask gen) as in use. Goto eleveation tool and raise the heightmap with a certain size only thru this selection. The heightmap layer will be higher only where selected.

- Now, goto mask gen again and apply a distribution mask with full white color and a height restriction so it is only applied to zero level (where there is no selection since we've raised the heightmap on the other parts). Use Att (attenuation) to match selection layer gradient. Now be sure to select Subtract to the mask gen operation and apply this to the material layers.

Basically you use a temporarily layer of heightmap to apply the mask generator with subtract (to remove previous mask) where the selection is not made.

I know this requires several steps and a dedicated tool / support would be much better but it is a solution that works.

Actually, if you think about it, there are a lot of things you can do with several types of temporary layers: you can invert heightmaps, make various selections based on temporary heightmaps, etc.

Let me know if you can do the above steps or you need more info.

Regards,
Adrian L.
AD_Dennis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ALicu, unfortunately I'm not able to disable either of the two layers in my scene. Both heightmap layers on the Heightmaps->Project tab have buttons that say "Disable" but when clicked nothing happens.
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the button indicates the action it occurs when pressing it (it may be confusing at first). So if it says Disable, by pressing it will disable the heightmap layer and the text will read Enable. You can disable all the layers of heightmap but one. You must have at least one enabled (otherwise the terrain surface will vanish). Create a new layer of heightmap, and disable the one from bellow (containing some heightmap deformation). The operation should be visible (terrain should become flatten).
AD_Dennis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the button says Disable but after being clicked it still says Disable and nothing happens. The buttons for both layers act this way.
Mihai
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well....maybe..all the information of the height map, is on the first layer
Are you sure that you assigned the second layer of height map to your zones ?

To check that the enable/disable of any layer of height map works :
-make a 3 _rd layer of height map
-assigned to your zones (make sure that the zone are selected)
- in the selection tab make sure that only the last layer (the 3_rd) of hight map is in use.
- draw with the heightmap brush something
-then see if you can enable or disable any layer below or just the 3_rd

Here you can find some tips and tricks about how you can transfer the height map from a layer (of height map ) to another :
http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121

Last edited by Mihai on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
AD_Dennis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALicu, thanks for your patience. I found that the heightmaps that were intended to be on separate layers were actually mixed between layers. A test case where they were truly on separate layers worked as expected. Thanks for the link. I'll give that at try.
Mihai
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Glad i could help...but.. i am Mihai Smile
If you have any more question about how to make a god looking terrain in Grome don't hesitate to ask Smile
AD_Dennis
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mihai, sorry. I should pay more attention! Embarassed

Jump to: