www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Hopeful « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Ingot
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Hopeful Reply with quote

It looks like this is the tool that I have been looking for.

I want to be able to place my 3d models on these landscapes
within the provided editor and export the landscape with models
in various formats. Is that going to be possible?

If the editor does not fulfil my needs, will I be able to attain a refund?

Also, is the engine usable in an RPG game?
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, you can export your scene in any format you want. First of all, Grome will come with out of the box formats to export to, like:

- COLLADA (industry standard, official format developed by Sony for PS3, understood by major modeling applications like Max, Maya, XSI, Blender etc)
- Open Scene Graph format (open source OpenGL based scene graph, used by many simulation applications and games)
- A simple to parse text format

We will be also adding (with time) other common formats like obj (Maya) and 3ds (Max). Many of these formats are not suitable for exporting the terrain (as they don’t support multiple layers, not have LOD capabilities) but can be used to export the objects.

We are also looking to integrate Grome with other engines (Torque, Ogre and other, commercial engines, we cannot talk right now).

Secondly, you can export the terrain (geometry and texture layers) and objects (instances, their geometry and they linking properties to the terrain) to any format you wish by using the provided SDK. The SDK will come with full documentation, step-by-step tutorials and all the plug-ins presented above as examples with full source code.

About refund. You can evaluate Grome in demo version. For now, the demo version doesn’t contain the SDK, but, at release time, a new demo version will be available with the full SDK documentation and its samples. The SDK modules will not be present in the demo so you cannot export / import. Thus, you can fully evaluate the editor then, but, again, without saving.

About the type of games Grome is suitable. Any type. It is not linked to any particular genre. It has support for any number of zones (we are talking about the Profession edition), for very large scale terrain (built-in swap support), tools to make the terrain looks good for close, medium or far range, from above or from player level. Objects placement tools for individual precision placement or mass population.

The engine behind the Grome will not be (yet) available. Grome is not an engine, think of it as specialized modeling application. Specialized for game worlds. Yes, you can build your terrain in Max, Maya or whatever, but you will not have real-time feedback and suitable tools and after a while the scene will be very hard to navigate due to the large number of polygons (the above generic modelers don’t have LOD and don’t handle millions of polygons per second).

You can even ask for customizations from our team. If you are a serious, funded developer, you can contact us and we will build custom Grome editions for you with: custom AI setup, custom game entities editing and placement, camera tracking, custom engine integration, almost anything you can think of.

I will make this post sticky for a while for everyone to read. These are pretty sensible questions, and we’ve been receiving them from many of you. So I hope this puts some lights on Grome usage and its purpose.

Thanks,
Licu

Jump to: