www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Does the TGEA exporter capture the texture UV scale? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Gareth Fouche
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Does the TGEA exporter capture the texture UV scale? Reply with quote

As the title says, does the TGEA exporter capture the texture scale settings? I've tried playing with them, doesn't seem to. Unless I'm missing something significant?
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The way the ATLAS material system is currently made you cannot automatically change (from I know) the texture tiling. The control of the tiling is given by the vertex shaders used by the ATLAS blender.

You can find the shaders as atlasBlenderPS11VA.hlsl (first pass pixel shading 1.1), atlasBlenderPS11VB.hlsl (second pass, 1.1) and atlasBlenderPS20V.hlsl (one single pass for pixel shading 2.0) somewhere in the atlas build (usually in a shaders/atlas folder).

There you have OUT.texN (where N is 1,2,3 or 4 identifying the texture layer) equal input.masterTex * tiling. You need to change the tiling to whatever tile you are using. For example, if you have 3 by 3 Grome zones with a tile of 7 for each zone, you need to put it 21 (3 x 7) as the tiling for the entire terrain.

This process is actually documented in the exporter help (at the end of the tutorial).

Sorry this is not a more automatic process, but the restriction is currently due to way ATLAS is structured. In the future we may be able to find a more direct solution. Any suggestion is welcomed.

Regards,
Adrian L.
PuG
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also on top of that, even if you do increase the tiling in the TGEA shaders you will find the old issue is still the ClipMapBatcher causing blurred results - either this needs disabling or figuring out how to increase the resolution.

Ves resource already does this for you, but integrates Parallax mapping etc.

Best Regards,
Gareth Fouche
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, I've discovered both the shader and clipmap issues. Shaders are easy to fix, clipmaps are somewhat tricky... So I've set out to circumvent them completely. Very Happy

I've almost got it working. Got the terrain resolution fixed and removed the clipmap code but I've introduced a bug in my code somewhere else. Just a matter of time before I nail it though. Will let you guys know when I'm done.

@ PuG : Yeah, looked at Ves' stuff, my work is partially based on that.
ldemarinis
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could figure out this climask issue that would be great. That is a problem that has been bothering me for a long time.
Gareth Fouche
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it Very Happy

Before :

After :

I'll package up my changes and post them on GG as a resource as soon as I can. Mostly just a variation on what Vesp did though.
ldemarinis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hey man, great job. When you post that up let me know. I will definitely take a look at that.
PuG
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! look forward to the resource Smile

I know they have fiddled with the clipmap in TGEA 1.7.1 beta, but my own terrain doesn't seem to want to work ingame.

Jump to: