www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Various Tiling scales « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ldemarinis
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Various Tiling scales Reply with quote

Real simple quick question. Is it possible to have different tiling sizes for your textures when exporting for Atlas.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you can by modifying the shaders (atlasBlenderPS11VA.hlsl, atlasBlenderPS11VB.hlsl and atlasBlenderPS20V.hlsl) so each of the 4 layers mappings are multiplied with a different tiling value. In Grome, of course, you can have different tiling for different layers so you can see in the editor the same texture tiling as in the atlas.

A confirmation for a more advanced ATLAS user would be welcomed, but for now I don't see why you cannot use different multiply constants in the above shaders. Hopefully there is no internal technical restriction.
ldemarinis
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch. I will investigate those changes in those above shaders. I am sure that that will work. I will let you know what happens with this process.
jcsmith
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can modify the shaders to change how often it is multiplied. Though it should be noted that no matter how dense you make it, the textures are always a bit clurry in Atlas. It has something to do with the clipmapping. Using a larger ClipmapSize (in the Atlas source) will help a little, but in my experience it's impossible to get a super high texel density without removing the clipmapping and affecting performance.

The best solution IMO is to use detail textures for the fine details. The stock detail texturing only allows for one detail texture, but I posted a mod on the TGEA forums a while back which will give you a second detail texture. The ideal approach would be to have a different detail texture for each texture, so that you could have a grass texture for grass, rock texture for rocks, etc. The problem with this is that with the clipmapping you don't really have access to that information. You could expose the opacity similar to how it is done in the atlasblender shader currently and then blend the detail textures similarly, or use a lower resolution opacity map similar to how Ves did in his normal mapped terrain and use that to determine which detail texture to use. It would require a bit of coding to get working though.
duke2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BF2/2142 does something pretty cool, they have the main big texture per-zone, and then 2 half-size RGB textures to determine the placement of a total of 6 detail textures. Older cards fallback to 1.

ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you can do the same thing in Grome: have a first color layer (with simple color shading) and, on top of that, have multiple masked layers with Masked detail shading (this will basically apply the tiled textures as details but thru masks). Then at export you can pack the detail masks in any image formats/configurations (like the Torque exporter packs 4 masks into one opacity mask).

So Grome various types of layers allows for many configurations. Unfortunately ATLAS doesn't yet support this.
Mihai
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Grome it's the same : -the main big texture per-zone is a color map ( unique that mean , it have no mask )an on top of that layer you can put how many layer of detail texture you want.

The difference between Bf2 editor and Grome is instead of RGB textures (used in bf2 to place the tiled details) you used grayscale mask for each layer of detail that you want to use .

When you put a layer of detail on top of a color layer make sure that in shader configuration use Masked bright detail
duke2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware you can do this in Grome, but I was pointing out how BF2 handled it if anyone wanted to do the same thing in TGEA Smile

Jump to: